Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EPiServer/cms/Stores/notification/ status 500 error on closing notification-bell panel

Vote:

I get the below error on closing the notifications panel. Episerver CMS 11.14.0.0.

Oddly the retrieval of the notifications works fine, and it's method also gets passed a user. How can I troubleshoot this? 

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: user
at EPiServer.Notification.Internal.DefaultNotifier.<MarkUserNotificationsAsReadAsync>d__47.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at EPiServer.Notification.Internal.DefaultNotifier.<MarkUserNotificationsAsReadAsync>d__46.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.Rest.Notifications.NotificationService.<MarkAllAsReadAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.Rest.Notifications.NotificationStore.<MarkAllAsRead>d__5.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.TaskAsyncActionDescriptor.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<BeginInvokeAsynchronousActionMethod>b__1(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethod(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__11_0()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<>c__DisplayClass11_1.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__2()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<>c__DisplayClass11_1.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__2()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethodWithFilters(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass3_6.<BeginInvokeAction>b__3()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass3_1.<BeginInvokeAction>b__5(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeAction(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at EPiServer.Shell.Services.Rest.RestControllerBase.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<InvokeEndHandler>b__0()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.InvokeEndHandler(IAsyncResult ar)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.OnAsyncHandlerCompletion(IAsyncResult ar)

May 11, 2020 0:01
Vote:

This is exactly the same as the error I reported, Epi support are looking into this for me, are you using Multiplexer for security?

See:

https://world.episerver.com/forum/developer-forum/-Episerver-75-CMS/Thread-Container/2020/4/possible-bug-in-read-notifications/

May 12, 2020 1:40
Vote:

Thanks Paul, to complicate things, it is on Azure AD B2C.

I guess the issue presented is the same as yours; something that notification handler needs is not presented in the user object.

May 12, 2020 2:48
Vote:

@Arjan I have reported a bug. I think it will be fixed soon.

May 12, 2020 8:48
Vote:

Hi Linh,

I have experienced the same problem also.

I would presume this is something to do with how users are sync'ed from Active Directory B2C with Episerver. In order to create the notification I am using the users email address to trigger the notification.

Would it be better to use say a username if given?

Thanks

Paul

Jun 01, 2020 19:00
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.