Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

virtual path configuration issue for enterprise/multiple site environment

Vote:

Hi,

I'm facing issues to set up VPP's with same virtual path (e.g ~\upload) in a multi site environment(single code base folder for all the sites) . Prior to migration to V6 R2, the sites were running as standalone sites. And each had their own "upload" folder. Now, I'm facing issue with VPP configuration as below:

<virtualPath customFileSummary="~/Filesummary.config">

<add showInFileManager="true" virtualName="uploadSite1" virtualPath="~/upload/"
        bypassAccessCheck="false" indexingServiceCatalog="Web" physicalPath="C:\VPP\CountrySites2_0\uploadSite1"
        name="upload" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNativeProvider,EPiServer" />

<add showInFileManager="true" virtualName="uploadSite5" virtualPath="~/upload/"
        bypassAccessCheck="false" indexingServiceCatalog="Web" physicalPath="C:\VPP\CountrySites2_0\uploadSite5"
        name="uploadSite5" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNativeProvider,EPiServer" />

</virtualPath>

PROBLEM: The problem is all the sites point to "uploadsite5",i.e the last configured provider while I would want them to point to their respective folders.

Is it possible to achieve? Or would I require updating the data in the DB? Any pointers would be really helpful.

Thanks,

senthil.

Jan 19, 2012 13:11
Vote:

You could:

1. Run the site(s) in two different IIS instances, each with their own .config files
  2. Update each version of the application to point to a different /upload folder like /uploadApp1 and /uploadApp2

Just some of my first thoughts...

Jan 19, 2012 15:26
Vote:

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your reply. One of our requirements is that the sites need to be run as single instance, as there were issues during maintenance of the 20 web sites.

I was looking at the possibility of dynamically setting the VPP folder path, based on the incoming request/URL. Is it possible to achieve?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jan 19, 2012 16:06
Vote:

The VPP folder paths are set as part of the application start-up and initiailisation so I don't think it will be possible to vary them programmatically. Of course another idea is to simply upload to a sub-folder of the /uploads/ folder for each applicaiton, based on the application ID?

Jan 19, 2012 16:43
Vote:

Hi David,

Thanks for the clarification.

There are existing pages in each site with content referring to "upload" folder. The alternative solution in your reply might also require updating content in database for every site, as they would have reference to path "/upload".

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Jan 19, 2012 19:08
Vote:

Hello Senthil, your understanding is correct. One way or another you will have to do something to change, after all you effectively have merged serveral applications into one and you have to deal with contention around shared resources (i.e. the /uploads/ folder).

I was thinking of another approach could be to write a custom handler for the /uploads/ path then use it to route requests. Of course this all depends on what experience your editors want. Do they want to see the same /uploads/ folder for each site?

Jan 20, 2012 10:58
Vote:

Hi David,

Thanks for the clarification.

We have decided to inform the editors that there will be a change in the upload folder path (i.e, each site would have separate upload folder "uploadForSite1", "uploadForSite2" etc.). If I'm copying images into the respective sites(site1 images to 'uploadforsite1' and site2 images to 'uploadForSite2' folders), then the editors would not complain. They should be fine as long as images are available.

Kindly suggest me the link to read about the custom handler solution. The other solution I read in the forum(to update content in database): http://world.episerver.com/Modules/Forum/Pages/Thread.aspx?id=42277&ampepslanguage=en/

But the above solution requires updating content for all the 20 sites :(

Once again, thanks for your time and reply.

Jan 20, 2012 16:56
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.