Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Upgrading EPi 6 R1 to R2

Vote:

Hi,

I just tried to upgrade an EPiServer 6 R1 site with the deployment center (Downloaded today). I get the following error;

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Upgrade\System Scripts\Upgrade XForm Names.ps1:36 char:22
+ Upgrade-EPiXFormNames <<<< -SelectedSite $wizard.SelectedApplication
System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot resolve dependencies for the following module(s)
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.CreateDependencySortedModules(IEnumerable`1 modules)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.Initialize(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.Initialize(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.FrameworkInitialization(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Common.EPiServerCMSWrapper.InitalizeEPiServer(String webConfigPath)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Common.EPiServerCMSWrapper.Initialize(String destinationPath, String virtualDirectory)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Common.EPiServerCMSWrapper.Initialize(String destinationPath, String virtualDirectory)
at EPiServer.Install.Common.AppDomains.RunInAppDomainInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
at EPiServer.Install.InstallationManager.Install(Installer installer)
at EPiServerUpgrade.CMS6.XFormNameDecodeCmdlet.ProcessRecord()
at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoProcessRecord()
at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
found this blogpost when googling http://ilearnable.net/2010/08/31/upgrading-episerver-to-cms6/ so I suspected a year old bug, so I did what he suggested. 
It's almost working now, only, I get an login screen when I try to go to "Visitor Groups" even though I'm an administrator. Any Ideas what that may be?

Aug 22, 2011 15:55
Vote:

You need to be in either the VisitorGroupAdmins or CmsAdmins role. By default the CmsAdmins role is configured as a mapped virtual role. Check your EPiServerFramework.config and add this to the virtual role provider if it's not there:

<add roles="WebAdmins, Administrators" mode="Any" name="CmsAdmins"
        type="EPiServer.Security.MappedRole, EPiServer.Framework" />

You can of course add a mapped role for VisitorGroupAdmins as well, or create the role in you role provider.

Aug 23, 2011 7:42
Vote:

Edited, Aug 24, 2011 13:48
Vote:

Thanks, that worked!
I've moved on to upgrading the next site. On this one the "EPiServer Deployment Center" doesn't hang but the admin stops working after the upgrade... with this exception, any ideas?
(sorry for the deleted message, thought I had a lead by the file path in the stack, but it points to episervers file) :)

Unable to cast object of type 'EPiServer.Security.VirtualRolePrincipal' to type 'System.Web.Security.RolePrincipal'.

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'EPiServer.Security.VirtualRolePrincipal' to type 'System.Web.Security.RolePrincipal'.]
ASP.admin_shell_views_shared_site_master.__RenderHideCMSTab(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) in C:\...\admin\Shell\Views\Shared\Site.Master:48
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +131
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +246
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlHead.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +27
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +48
EPiServer.UI.WebControls.ControlAdapters.HtmlHeadAdapter.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +1026
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +11333554
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +246
System.Web.Mvc.ViewPage.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +85
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5290
Aug 24, 2011 14:13
Vote:

Is it perhaps some customization in Site.master? It seems to contain code that expects the (current?) principal to be of type RolePrincipal, which it won't be when VirtualRoles are activated.

Aug 24, 2011 14:26
Vote:

The error occurs before any of our code is executed, in EPiServer. By following "The Select Isn't broken"-paradigm, there must be some kind of configuration error in our site (or some configuration that no longer works after the upgrade). Only, I'dont really have anything to go on...  

Aug 24, 2011 14:43
Vote:

The old paradigm was correct. Found some configuration remapping that url to another file. (didn't build the site that's why i'm a bit confused).

Thank's for your help!

Aug 24, 2011 14:51
Vote:

My EPiServerFramework.config has the following tags :

<virtualRoles replacePrincipal="true">
<providers>
<add name="Administrators" type="EPiServer.Security.WindowsAdministratorsRole, EPiServer" />
<add name="Administrator" type="EPiServer.Security.WindowsAdministratorsRole, EPiServer" />
<add name="Everyone" type="EPiServer.Security.EveryoneRole, EPiServer" />
<add name="Authenticated" type="EPiServer.Security.AuthenticatedRole, EPiServer" />
<add name="Anonymous" type="EPiServer.Security.AnonymousRole, EPiServer" />
<add name="Creator" type="EPiServer.Security.CreatorRole, EPiServer" />
<add roles="WebAdmins, Administrators" mode="Any" name="CmsAdmins"
<add roles="WebAdmins, Administrators" mode="Any" name="VisitorGroupAdmins"
<add roles="WebEditors" mode="Any" name="CmsEditors" type="EPiServer.Security.MappedRole, EPiServer.Framework" />
</providers>
</virtualRoles>

And still I don't have access to the Visitor Groups (admin/edit/dashboard is working), this is after an upgrade, does someone have an idea?
Thanks!

Sep 13, 2011 15:48
Vote:

The problem was that we had in our CMS5R2 web.config this tag :

<add name="InitializationModule" type="EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule, EPiServer" />

The deployement center didn't touch this but we changed it to the new one :

<add name="InitializationModule" type="EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule, EPiServer.Framework" />

After this change we could access the visitor groups UI.
Edited, Sep 22, 2011 16:13
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.