Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

VB.NET Episerver website

Vote:

hi,

I am looking to use VB.net with episerver.  Have people out there done this? Is there a problem with not being able to register page types etc? any helpful hints and tips?

Jun 30, 2010 9:30
Vote:

C# or VB is all Common Intermediate Language in the end so I don't see why this would be an issue.

All of the examples and code with EPiServer that I have seen are in C# so it will help you a lot when learning how to develop for EPiServer if you understand C#. Though if you understand C#, I would recommend just writing in C#. All the cool kids do.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The project and item templates are all in C# too, so you would have to create your projects and classes from scratch if you use VB.

Edited, Jun 30, 2010 10:13
Vote:

unfortunately we have a company wide policy to use VB which can not be changed for now dispite personal recommendations!

I know it is possible its just trying to understand all of the extra work involved before we start it.. things like having to register all page types manually etc

Jun 30, 2010 10:28
Vote:

The visual studio integration only works for c#, but if you know what you're doing it's not that big a deal to see what's going on in c# and just convert it to VB. 

If you like to use the public templates project to base your site on then "the community" has created a VB version of the Public Templates example project!

http://www.oshyn.com/_blog/Web_Content_Management/post/Enterprise-Episerver-VB-DotNet-Public-Templates-Visual-Studio/

I believe this is targeted at CMS 5 R2 but shouldn't be a problem to upgrade it to 6.

If you must use the "new episerver project" from within VS this is only available in C#. How to convert a c# "new episerver project" to VB:

http://www.oshyn.com/_blog/Web_Content_Management/post/Creating_an_EPI_Server_VB_Site_from_Visual_Studio/

Jun 30, 2010 10:34
Vote:

Thank you Joel,

this is very helpful!

Jun 30, 2010 10:37
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.