Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Deployment Best Practice

Vote:

Hi,

Just about to deploy a project to a brand new environment from dev and wondered what the best practice is to acheive this from a database perspective?

For the files I would publish from VS, copy the files to the relevant server, then setup the website in IIS and alter the config files as required. From a database perspective I see the following options:

- Backup the dev database and restore to the required location

- Use the deployment centre to create the new database only in the required location and import all items from the dev project

I'm not keen on the first option as it's a bit 'messy' and the second option leaves scope for items to be missed when exporting/importing from old to new.

What do others do in this situation and how do you manage database updates between development/staging/production environments once set up?

Keen to hear your ideas,

Mark

Oct 13, 2010 13:56
Vote:

I'm my experience most EPiServer Partners use the backup/restore option. I've been looking into MS Deploy lately for deployment, but haven't tried it out with the database yet (MS Deploy supports both database and files required to run your site, along with permissions and other goodies :)).

Frederik

Oct 13, 2010 21:05
Vote:

I do the backup/restore routine. I guess that I don't find to be that much of a hassle. In my experience to help the customer to get going it helps to have the basic information structure in the pagetree.

If you have a bit of discipline when developing and keep the development database nice and tidy it doesn't take much time getting it up and running.

Oct 13, 2010 21:46
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.