Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Error from authentication changes CMS 12.17.1 -> 12.26.1

TW
TW
Vote:

We have previously used Windows Authentication together with an IClaimsTransformation to authenticate users for the CMS and Admin parts of our website.

This was done by simply using AddNegotiate after CMS and Authentication in our startup.cs ConfigureServices method.

After updating nugets from CMS 12.17.1 to 12.26.1 we now get an error indicating "Attempting to use an incomplete authentication context." from the NegotiateHandler.

According to the aspnetcore source code on github this only happens if _negotiateState.IsCompleted is not true, which comments say shouldn't happen.

Is there any change in the CMS versions between 17 and 26 (or related nugets) that might cause this, and if so, how can the error be corrected? The only thing that changes between our auth setup working and not working is the nuget version change.

The following code used to work, but doesn't now (the IClaimsTransformation class is never reached because of the error thrown):

services.AddCmsAspNetIdentity<ApplicationUser>()
                .AddCms()
                .AddAuthentication(options =>
                {
                    options.DefaultScheme = "Windows";
                    options.DefaultAuthenticateScheme = "Windows";
                    options.DefaultChallengeScheme = "Windows";
                })
                .AddNegotiate("Windows", options => { });
            services.TryAddEnumerable(ServiceDescriptor.Singleton<IClaimsTransformation, ADGroupToRolesTransformer>());
services.AddAuthorization(options =>
            {
                options.FallbackPolicy = options.DefaultPolicy;
            });

And here's a short stacktrace of the issue.

InvalidOperationException: Attempting to use an incomplete authentication context.
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.Negotiate.NegotiateHandler.HandleAuthenticateAsync()
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.AuthenticationHandler<TOptions>.AuthenticateAsync()
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.AuthenticationService.AuthenticateAsync(HttpContext context, string scheme)
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.AuthenticationMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.StatusCodePagesMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.ExceptionHandlerMiddleware.<Invoke>g__Awaited|6_0(ExceptionHandlerMiddleware middleware, HttpContext context, Task task)
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.ExceptionHandlerMiddleware.HandleException(HttpContext context, ExceptionDispatchInfo edi)
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.ExceptionHandlerMiddleware.<Invoke>g__Awaited|6_0(ExceptionHandlerMiddleware middleware, HttpContext context, Task task)
Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.DeveloperExceptionPageMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)

Jan 18, 2024 9:25
Vote:

Maybe it's worth to give a try of the solution mentioned in this link by switching you middleware 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72348006/handling-errors-and-dealing-with-an-incomplete-authentication-context

Jan 18, 2024 9:41
TW
Vote:

Unfortunately I've tried that before and it didn't help.

Jan 18, 2024 9:53
Vote:

Hi TW

I just test this with the specific version you mentioned (12.26.1) , everything seems working fine. When NegotiateState is in incomplete state, it seems something goes wrong in your network. I would suggest you test Windows authentication with a vanilla cms project or raise a support ticket, so you will get Opti support team to help you on this issue as well. 

Jan 22, 2024 1:22
Vote:

Hello TW,

Did you manage to find a solution to this problem?

We are trying to upgrade to CMS 12 and struggling with this issue as well.

Feb 29, 2024 13:22
TW
Vote:

We've pivoted to trying to get an OpenId Connect solution to work, and are making progress on that front.
The only promising lead I found for getting Windows Authentication to work is a blog post by Rick Strahl named "ASP.NET Core In Process Hosting on IIS with ASP.NET Core" which might* let IIS handle Windows Auth and just push that into the application, but I haven't had time to try it out since we've got lots to do and not much time to do it.

*this one word is doing some really heavy lifting here

Also, can't post a link directly to the blog post, hence why I just gave the author's name and the post's title

Edited, Feb 29, 2024 13:36
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.