Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

License checking on development machines (EPiServer 4.60)

Vote:

We have noticed that when running on development servers with more than one EPiServer installation, we get errors like the following: License violation! License is already in use at another online site: http://episerver460/ [_LM_W3SVC_845450180_Root] Is this an extension to the EPiServer license checking, or a bug in 4.60? Regards, Mark.
Jun 20, 2006 18:05
Vote:

I have the same problem and in my case the text 'License violation...' appears on the screen for just a few tenths of a second and then the site is shown without any pictures. Usually the problem is gone after I reboot my computer.
Jun 21, 2006 14:07
Vote:

Correct. This is actually (as far as I know) "the Return of the License Violation Checker". This was part of the product in a previous version, and at some point it was removed for some reason and now it has been re-introduced. So, each instance of EPiServer on a server now requires a unique license. Mattias Nordgren EPiServer Technical Sales Engineer
Jun 21, 2006 16:35
Vote:

We quite commonly put up several EPiServer sites on the same box for user evaluation / initial content setup prior to putting the sites on EPiServerHotell.net or deploying to a user's server. Will we need to request a license file on a per-instance basis from now on, and do we need to specify anything to identify the instance when requesting licenses?
Jun 22, 2006 15:26
Vote:

I don't know the inner workings of the license checker, but you will need one unique license per EPiServer instance. No, you would not need to identify each instance, just as long as you use a unique license for each instance.
Jun 22, 2006 16:27
Vote:

To ease the development we really should be allowed to run on url http://localhost (or the localhost ip-adress) without a licence. Other product allow that for development. It should also not be a problem or possible misuse of the EPiServer.
Sep 28, 2006 14:43
Vote:

Or even better is a general development license bound to a specific machine/person but with unlimited websites/instances. Regards, Mikael Levén
Sep 29, 2006 9:33
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.