Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Logging / Statistics

Vote:

Hi. I'm trying to enable the Logging/Statistics module for a site, but I get this error message "Cannot save logging settings: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I have changed the connectionString in c:\Program Files\EPiServer.LogService.exe.config. I have also tried debugging the service as described on this page (http://www.episerver.com/devforum/ShowTopic.aspx?id=4567), but it just brings up a lot of exceptions. Did I miss something in the installation instructions, or is it something else? Hope someone can help me out. Frank :)
Sep 08, 2005 15:22
Vote:

Hi Frank, I can not reproduce the error you get. But if you try to do a manual remove of the LogService according to the whit paper http://www.episerver.com/downloads/Documents/WhitePapers/English/EPiServer%204.50/Log%20Service%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf and then try to reinstall the LogService manually by following the instructions below "Manual Installation" in the same document. Undocumented tips: It is possible to start the LogService as a application on a DOS prompt, steps to do this are: 1) Open a DOS prompt 2) Stop the service by typing “net stop EPiServer.LogService” 3) If you want to se what the LogSerive is doing change the logging level for it to DEBUG. This is done by replacing the default WARN level to DEBUG for the root logger in the file %PROGRAM FILES%\log4net.config (the forth line from bottom to ) 4) Start the logService in DEBUG mode by typing: "C:\Program Files\EPiServer.LogService\EPiServer.LogService.exe" DEBUG 5) Stop the LogService by pressing the key "q" I hope that this will help you out.
Sep 09, 2005 17:51
Vote:

Hi! We have the same problem in all our episerver demo installations :-). Exactly the same behaviour. After Episerver manager gives error message, a EpiserverLog.config-file is created to the wwwroot but it is empty (0 bytes). I tried to follow the manual instructions but for some reason there is no EpiserverLog.config.default file in the episerver wwwroot. Episerver versions used are 4.50 and 4.51. Is there something more we should be aware of ? - Esa
Oct 27, 2005 12:48
Vote:

Hi, this is a bug in the installation manager that we can not reproduce, but a simple workaround is to copy a new EPiServerLog.config (I have placed one under code samples http://www.episerver.com/templates/SampleSource.aspx?id=6057 ) to your website root directory Regards, Mattias Lövström
Nov 01, 2005 9:26
Vote:

Hi! Is there a solution to this problem yet? Because everytime the service needs to be restarted (after server restart etc) the config file gets erased. Regards, /Patrik (This content was manually imported after an update to www.episerver.com)
Mar 15, 2006 16:20
Vote:

Hi Patrik, what config file is erased, the EPiServerLog.config in your webroot when you restart the IIS? I have never heard of this problem before, which EPiServer/.NET/webserver version are you using? Regards, Mattias Lövström
Mar 16, 2006 11:41
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.