Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Some variants are returned when doing a catalog search and some aren't

Vote:

I'm new to Commerce, and I'm having difficulty getting search to return product variants consistently. We're using Lucene Search on Commerce 12.4. I'm hoping someone can give me some hints, areas, or even some search terms that I can use to always get products and their variants. (It might just be an incomplete index for all I know.)

I have the following code in an API controller on my front-end project:

public string ProductSearch(string search)
{
    var market = _currentMarket.GetCurrentMarket();
    CatalogEntrySearchCriteria criteria = new CatalogEntrySearchCriteria
    {
        SearchPhrase = search,
        MarketId = market.MarketId,
        Locale = _languageResolver.GetPreferredCulture().Name
    };
    criteria.ClassTypes.Add("product");
    criteria.ClassTypes.Add("variation");
    SearchManager manager = new SearchManager(AppContext.Current.ApplicationName);
    ISearchResults results = manager.Search(criteria);

return JsonConvert.SerializeObject(results.Documents);
}

If I send in the word "Planning" I get back all products and variants (the same products and variants that the Commerce Manager's Catalog Entry Search returns). If I send in the abbreviation "COMS", for example, I get back the products that have "COMS" in the name but none of the variants. In the Commerce Manager, that same search yields 13 results (3 products + 10 variants), but the API is only returning the 3 products. I thought being more specific would help, so with one of the products being something like "COMS PlusOne" I put "COMS+PlusOne" in the search query. I get that product back, but none of the variants, and there are 4 variants in the catalog.

It would be great to know if there is a setting for Lucene Search, or an initialization step that was missed somewhere that I haven't found in my online searches. Unfortunately we're not using Find so I can see what has been indexed, either.

Thank you!

Nov 12, 2019 0:38
Vote:

I found something. Referencing this comment (https://world.episerver.com/forum/developer-forum/Episerver-Commerce/Thread-Container/2018/4/commerce-catalog-find-fails/#191856) I thought to check if the search location was pointing to the same place in both the CMS and Commerce Manager sites, and using this comment (https://world.episerver.com/forum/developer-forum/Episerver-Commerce/Thread-Container/2018/1/issue-with-catalog-search/#187326) I found that the CMS site had a different index than the Commerce Manager site. (The CMS site had only 2 .cfs files and the CM site had 7).

I repointed the CMS site to the Commerce Manager's index and now I'm seeing all variants.

However, another comment in the first thread said that it's important to point both the Commerce Server and the CMS to the same index location, "Otherwise you would need to run the "Full Search Index" job to index on CMS site." I did run the Full Search Index, and updated it during my debugging session, but it didn't populate the index with variants.

Futhermore, I just confirmed that when I run the "Full Search Index" job on the CMS site, it must be changing the index on the Commerce Manager side because the variants disappear. To get them back I have to Rebuild Index from inside Commerce Manager.

Edited, Nov 12, 2019 2:15
Vote:

It sounds like your search setting in your cms site is not correct. You should probably look into mediachase.search.config in Configs folder and make sure it is equivalent to your CM site.

also it is true that you can and probably should share the same index between those sites to avoid inconsistency (although lucene is not the best when it comes to handle high level of concurrency)

Nov 12, 2019 8:29
Vote:

Hi Quan! Thank you for your answer. 

When I run the Full Search Index most, but not all, of the variants are included. It seems just one type is not getting indexed but the Commerce Manager includes them in the index. So using the same index works as long as no one runs the Full Search Index job to overwrite the index. 

The Mediachase.Search.config files are identical. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mediachase.Search>
  <SearchProviders defaultProvider="LuceneSearchProvider">
    <providers>
      <add name="LuceneSearchProvider" type="Mediachase.Search.Providers.Lucene.LuceneSearchProvider, Mediachase.Search.LuceneSearchProvider"
        queryBuilderType="Mediachase.Search.Providers.Lucene.LuceneSearchQueryBuilder, Mediachase.Search.LuceneSearchProvider"
        storage="[appDataPath]\Search\ECApplication\" simulateFaceting="true"/>
    </providers>
  </SearchProviders>
  <Indexers basePath="[appDataPath]\Search\ECApplication\">
    <add name="catalog" type="Mediachase.Search.Extensions.Indexers.CatalogIndexBuilder, Mediachase.Search.Extensions"/>
  </Indexers>
</Mediachase.Search>

For now we'll just use the work around, but it would be good to know why some variant types aren't being indexed by the Full Search Index but they are by the Commerce Manager's "Build Index" function.

Nov 12, 2019 23:12
Vote:

Hi Nick

I would advice you to use Episerver Find, if in any way possible. It it just so much easier to work with, has more features and it doesn't have concurrency or synchronization issues like you found from local Lucene indices. If your site is in DXC, Find indices are included. If not, it may come at an additional cost.

For a start you can replace the Lucene provider with the Find provider, by changing the configuration and reindexing everything. Unless you are using native Lucene features in your queries, you should be able to keep using your existing SearchProvider queries. Then over time you can migrate all your queries to use the Find .Net SDK, opening the box of very nice features.

Nov 13, 2019 7:04
Vote:

It turns out the variants that do not show up in the IndexingService.svc "Full Search Index" job are created programmatically and not through the Commerce Manager. The Commerce Manager sees them but the CMS does not, so they're only included in the Commerce Manager's index and if I run "Full Search Index" it overwrites the Commerce Manager index.

Is there something that maybe was missed when creating the products programmatically that would exclude them from the Full Search Index? Maybe a flag that should have been set? I don't want to rely on "Don't run the Full Search Index" as our solution to this issue.

Here is the code used to create the variant:

var newVariant = CatalogHelper.GetEpiproduct<CustomProduct>(categoryLink, variantContentReference);

newVariant.Code = request.Code;
newVariant.ProductExpirationDateDays = request.ProductExpirationDateDays;
newVariant.Name = request.Name;
newVariant.DisplayName = request.DisplayName;
newVariant.ParentLink = request.ParentProductLink;
newVariant.ContentLink = variantContentReference;
newVariant.DontAllowMultiple = request.DontAllowMultiple;
newVariant.Created = request.DateCreated;
newVariant.Countries = request.Countries;
newVariant.Regions = request.Regions;
newVariant.IsNorthAmerica = request.IsNorthAmerica;
_contentRepository.Service.Save(newVariant, SaveAction.Publish, AccessLevel.Read);

where GetEpiProduct<T> is:

public static T GetEpiproduct<T>(ContentReference categoryLink, ContentReference productLink) where T : IContentData
{
    var epiproduct = productLink.ID == 0 ? _contentRepository.Service.GetDefault<T>(categoryLink) : _contentRepository.Service.Get<T>(productLink);
    return epiproduct;
}
Edited, Nov 27, 2019 17:33
Vote:

For starter I think you should try to set the StartPublish property. It is automatically set in Commerce Manager but if you are using API you should set it explicitly 

Nov 27, 2019 20:45
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.