Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How safe is it for pages and VPPs to share the same top-level URL segment?

Vote:

I have a client who needs selected pages and binary files to roll up under the same top-level URL segment for their analytics.  So, they need something like this:

• /foo/page (this is an EPiServer page)
  • /foo/documents/myfile.pdf (this is a PDF out of a VPP)

They need this so both requests log until the "/foo" top-level URL segment.

I did some testing, and I created pages at:

• /foo/
  • /foo/bar

I also created a VPP and mapped it to "~/foo/documents," so I have a file at:

• /foo/documents/myfile.pdf

Everything seems to work.  I suppose someone could make a page under "foo" with the URL segment of "documents," and in that case, I believe the VPP would "win."  I can just educate them not to do this.

My client is about to make a fairly binding decision about their grand analytics strategy over this.  Am I missing anything?   I've asked around, and the concensus is that it "should" work fine, but I'm looking for last-minute opinions on it.

Anyone see a problem here?

Apr 18, 2011 22:59
Ted
Vote:

I'm thinking most (all?) documents will have a file extension while friendly URLs won't, so IF a problem would arise I think it could be fixed fairly easily.

All in all, I don't see why this would pose any problems.

Apr 19, 2011 8:20
Vote:

Hi Deane!

Conceptually, this would be no different than what You already have with the default
EPiServer-setup (but without the "foo"-part):

/
/Documents/document.pdf

There is nothing stopping a WebEditor to create a page named "Documents" under the Startpage and under that create pages
that might clash with files residing in the Documents-VPP.

However, as EPiServer defaults to insert the languagecomponent into the url ( /en/Documents/page-that-looks-like-a-file )
and that files usually have a filextension as Ted mentioned above, the risk of collisions would be minimal I think.

/johan

Apr 19, 2011 11:49
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.