Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Update Panel and CMS 5 R2 problem

Vote:

Hello,

Please can someone help me on this, I have CMS 5 R2 version of Epi-server, I am using framework 3.5 and using ajax in one of my

pages. The problem is when i run this page on my local machine or staging environment it works like a charm and i found no problem at all. But when i run this file on client's production server, it breaks giving the 

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 500

The behaviour appears sometime and sometimes not.
Please if someone can help me on this. I have found that epi-server CMS 5R2, has already a fixed for the update panel. Please if someone can guide me on this.

Looking forward to seeing a reply.

Mar 29, 2010 15:10
Vote:

It's quite a generic error, but the best way to diagnose it would be to use EPiServer's built-in support for log4net.

Have a quick read through this:

http://world.episerver.com/FAQ/Items/How-do-I-create-a-log-in-EPiServer/

Mar 29, 2010 15:55
Vote:

I tried implementing it, and log does not give me any error on that.

Please can some one response, it is not happening in staging or local server. Waiting for your responses.

Mar 29, 2010 20:39
Vote:

Any error 500 that's captured using an update panel should be visible within log4net's log file. Let me check you're implementing it correctly.

You've got an errorLog.Config file that's in the root of your site, and the configuration for it should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<log4net>
      <!--<appender name="FileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
        <file value="C:\\Inetpub\\wwwroot\\YourSiteName\\Error-log.txt" />
        <appendToFile value="true" />
        <rollingStyle value="Date" />
        <layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout">
           <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d\t%X{siteid}\t%m%n" />
        </layout>
      </appender>-->
      <root>
            <level value="ALL" />
            <appender-ref ref="FileAppender" />
      </root>
</log4net>

Remember, this config file is the config file in the root of the website you're experiencing the error in.

Uncomment the commented section to capture all the exceptions. Then cause the error again by refreshing the page. There'll be a text file called error-log.txt that'll fill up with a lot of information. Doing a text-find for the word "exception" should show up your error. I've had 500 errors with update panels in the past (quite a few times!) and I've never had any problems capturing them using this method.

Have a go with that, and let us know how you get on. :-)

Mar 30, 2010 10:07
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.