Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

PDF solution for a site running in the DXP

Vote:

Hello,

What would currently be the best solution for generating PDF's on the fly from pages, on a site running in the DXP.

John Ligtenberg

Jun 28, 2023 12:13
Vote:

Hi John,

I think there is a similar question asked this morning -- https://world.optimizely.com/forum/developer-forum/cms-12/thread-container/2023/6/page-routing-related/#304220

Paul

Jun 28, 2023 14:00
Vote:

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your answer.

To be a bit more specific, we've already set up a channel to generate PDF's, which works, and is in production for some time. We're using Evo HTML to PDF to generate the PDF's. 

On my local dev machine the PDF's come out fine, and the PDF's contain selectable text. In the INT, PREP and PROD environments the PDF's are acceptable but a bit blurry, and do not contain selectable text. 

I wonder if this is because Evo PDF has problems running in an Azure web app (no answer yet from Evo support) , and if there is some other product which could do the job in the context of an Azure web app.

Or maybe a SAAS solution is preferable for sites running in the DXP?

John

Jun 28, 2023 14:45
Vote:

Hi John,

Yeah sounds like it Evo have a tool on their site you can use to test the output.

I also see they also have a specific version for azure app service due to restrictions in app services:

EVO HTML to PDF Converter Library for .NET and .NET Core can be used directly in web roles and worker roles of Azure Cloud Services and in applications running on Azure Virtual Machines but it cannot be used in Azure Websites directly because of the restrictions imposed by Azure App Service environment.

For Azure App Service Websites we developed a solution consisting in a service that you can deploy in Azure Cloud and a client library that you can link directly into your Azure App Service Website to call that service completely transparent for you. The API of the client library is almost identical to the regular .NET library API.

Sounds like you might need a different version of EVO.

Paul

Jun 28, 2023 15:24
Vote:

Hi Paul,

It's the sentence "we developed a solution consisting in a service that you can deploy in Azure Cloud " that makes me rather hesitant for this solution. Which Azure Cloud should that be? Should I get in touch with Optimizely Support and ask them to add this service? I have a feeling that that is not going to happen. Or should I set up another Azure environment, just to be able to host the PDF service? Rather not. So that is why I put forward my original question, to see if anybody else has come up with a practical solution for the DXP environment.

John

Jun 29, 2023 7:40
Vote:

Optimizely Norway has been recommending this package...

<PackageReference Include="DinkToPdf" Version="1.0.8" />
Jun 29, 2023 7:44
Vote:

Thanks Tomas, I'll have a look at it.

Jun 29, 2023 7:47
Vote:

Hi ,

Even we are trying to use pdf generation in optimizely dxp cms 12 like rotativa and abcpdf both are working fine on locally but when we deploying the build on azure server by using pipline it's stop working any solution ?

Oct 12, 2023 15:19
Vote:

Hi owaiskhan

Have you tried DinkToPdf as mentioned above?

Oct 12, 2023 17:11
Vote:

Hi Tomas,

Yeah we tries it as well but it's not working in azure somehow. 

Regards

-owais

Oct 12, 2023 17:15
Vote:

I can recommend IronPDF for this, not free but works and have a great support and free trial. We have used all of the above in earlier projects but when moving to the new hosting for Azure and DXP based on Linux environments this has been troublesome. Decsided to by a license and have support for a tool that actually works :) So I would go for C# PDF Library (All-in-One Solution) | IronPDF for .NET.

We had another tool before an upgrade to CMS12 and new environments and it was an easy switch to start using iron pdf actually.

Oct 12, 2023 21:40
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.