Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Could not load type 'EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule' from assembly 'EPiServer'

Vote:

After following al upgrade steps from https://world.episerver.com/documentation/upgrading/Episerver-CMS/cms-11/breaking-changes-cms-11/to upgrade from CMS 10 to CMS 11, but I keep getting the following exception on trying to access the CMS via the browser:

Could not load type 'EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule' from assembly 'EPiServer, Version=10.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7'.

It seems that some code tries to load the type InitializationModule from the wrong assembly, as this specific type was moved from EpiServer.dll to EPiServer.Cms.AspNet, according to the upgrade documentation: EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule has been moved to EPiServer.Cms.AspNet assembly...

• I have the correct 11.3.4 episerver DLLs in the /bin folder.
  • I have deleted any temporary files from c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\
  • I cleaned/rebuilt/restarted IIS

Still same issue.

Any ideas are welcome.

Feb 27, 2018 16:20
Vote:

Do you have any 3rd parties assembly hanging around? They might be the culprit? 

Also make sure you have the correct binding redirect in web.config 

Edited, Feb 27, 2018 16:45
Vote:

<p>I have viewed the assemblies being loaded using FusionLog, and indeed have seen that there are some custom Epi&nbsp;add-onns that were referencing an old Epi version 10.0.1.0. These add-ons were&nbsp;POSSIBLE.RobotsTxtHandler and&nbsp;Geta.Tags. After updating both Nuget packages to their latest version the problem has disappeard (and replaced with another issue which I wont mention here.)</p> <p>Thanks for the help!</p>
Feb 28, 2018 8:46
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.