Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to get specific block from contentarea of page that may contain contentareas

Vote:

Hi peeps!,

Problem:

I have a PageData object.

1. Look for specific block-type in contentarea, on whichever page (PageData) that may have {n} number of contentarea.

2. Parse block(s) from contentarea(s) to IEnumerable (if possible, else retrieve content reference)

Finally, use blocks to create my viewmodels.

Suggestions?

Br,

Jens D.

Oct 25, 2018 16:58
Vote:

Interesting question! This is what I came up with:

public IEnumerable<T> GetAllBlocksOfTypeFromContentAreas<T>(PageData page) where T : BlockData
{
    var results = new List<T>();

if (page == null) return results;

foreach (var property in page.Property)
    {
        var contentArea = property.Value as ContentArea;

if (contentArea == null)
            continue;

foreach (var contentAreaItem in contentArea.Items)
        {
            T block;
            if (_contentRepository.Service.TryGet(contentAreaItem.ContentLink, out block))
                results.Add(block);
        }
    }

return results;
}

It does require you to load each piece of content from each ContentArea with the TryGet-call, so it might get a bit heavy performance wise if you have many content areas and many items in those content areas.

Edit: It was hard to name the method in a short and descriptive way. :P

Edit 2: 

Depending on where you're doing this operation you might want personalization and access rights to be considered for picking which content you want to show a specific visitor.

In that case use:

foreach (var contentAreaItem in contentArea.FilteredItems)

instead of

foreach (var contentAreaItem in contentArea.Items)
Edited, Oct 25, 2018 21:17
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.