Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Deployment - one db and multiple web servers

A.D
A.D
Vote:

Any dangers around deployment in this scenario:

1. Drain server from farm
  2. Deploy code to this server. Site initializes and updates the Database with new/changed content types
  3. Problem is, the other servers still in the farm are connected to this database but don't have the new code base

I think this is generally okay when new content types are released, but if you change an existing one you can run into trouble, correct?

How can you get around this?

Thanks,

Dec 14, 2017 5:42
Vote:

Episerver Forms is probably not the right forum... But.

Don't change properties. Hide them or remove them. Raise the version number for the assembly so that old code won't get picked when synchronizing.

Dec 14, 2017 8:22
A.D
Vote:

Thanks Johan,

whoops. Yeah, didn't mean this to go in Forms forum. Can't seem to move it.

So what would you do if for example you had a block with integer properties that you wanted to change to decimals?

I have used the 'Convert page types' feature a bit to manage changes to content types. There doesn't seem to be a 'convert block types' feature, which could be really useful for managing changes to functionality.

Found some more useful info here too: https://world.episerver.com/blogs/Per-Bjurstrom/Archive/2012/10/Synchronization-of-typed-models/

Thanks,

Edited, Dec 15, 2017 0:53
Vote:

Post moved to the CMS forum.

Dec 15, 2017 7:26
Vote:

I think int => decimal can be changed without data loss. But test it locally. If it works; don't remove/rename.

Dec 15, 2017 8:06
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.