Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EpiServer search only indexing root

Vote:

I have a setup with episerver cms 7.5 and episerver search. the indexing of pages under  root works fine, but the indexer doesnt index what is under the start page, or the start page for that matter - it does however items in the recycle bin.

Do the indexing service need any additional configuration to index pages under the sites start page instead of just indexing those under root.

see below for a quick view of whats get indexed.

• Root <-- gets indexed
    • folder <-- gets indexed
      • sub item <-- gets indexed 
    • site startpage <-- DO NOT get indexed
      • content page <-- DO NOT get indexed

Best regards

May 08, 2014 21:38
Vote:

Hi, no more configuration should be needed. What kind of setting do you use? Are you using MVC or Webforms on your website? For webforms and if you are using SearchDataSource there are some settings on that webcontrol. If you are using the search as a website search you should make sure the starting point for the search is the startpage and not root since you might get pages that should not be visible for end users.

May 08, 2014 22:11
Vote:

I use the standard config you get when installing search from deployment center. The site is a mvc site.

The problem is that i want to add custom fields to the index, i would like to do that by modifying the document in the indexingservice.document adding event. But the the only pages i get there is those from root and below, and not the pages from the sites start page and below.  So the index, after initial index, only contains pages from root node - as illustrated in my "sketch" in the first post

May 08, 2014 22:21
Vote:

Have you had a look at Ted Nybergs blogpost about custom fields in episerver search? 

May 08, 2014 23:29
Vote:

Yes, thats the guide i am using. And it works perfectly, but only pages under root gets indexed

May 09, 2014 8:01
Vote:

I "solved" it, by removing the clients part of the configuration, rebuild the solution and paste line back in! It then started indexing the correct pages,

I have no explanation to why this solved it, but it did.

May 09, 2014 14:05
Vote:

Great, but to bad you did not find the answer to why. My experience with the index is that triggering a reindex or removing index might solve some issues if you get strange results. Maybe this triggerd a rebuild of index or something helpling you solve the issue.

May 11, 2014 23:12
Vote:

Hello All,

Jannich Ibsen reply is absolutely corrent. rebuild works as expected. And no explanation what so ever...

Thanks,

Ranjit

Jan 28, 2015 13:08
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.