Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

.Net Core Support (Official Response Requested)

Vote:

Hi,

I know I have asked this before but I'm going to ask again as there has been no official response yet.

We are looking at moving all our applications to the cloud and as part of this would like to move all our .Net applications to .Net Core.

Microsoft has officially announced that .Net Core is the future so everyone will need to move there applications eventually.  To help us with planning our migration to a cloud based architecture we need to know when EPiServer will support .Net Core as this will impact what we can use to host EPiServer.

Microsoft has given us their roadmap for the future of .Net and also indicated that .Net Framework 4.8 will be the last release of the old framework.  As .Net Core brings significant performance and memory usage improvements it is very desirable when doing a cloud migration.

I know the roadmap webinar posted recently mentioned .Net Core but gave no specific details.  Can we get an official response on either what the roadmap is or when we will know when the roadmap is available.

We are also starting to plan the refresh of our web site and a .Net Core roadmap (or lack of one) will factor into this.

Thanks,

Phil

Edited, Aug 01, 2019 2:45
Vote:

They have already done a lot of work moving core libraries to .NET standard 2.0 so that it's migrating to .net core is easier. The large chunk of work comes from the fact the whole admin is still webforms and packages like episerver forms are too (although it puzzles me why considering it was only created about 4 years ago).

As you've said they are working on it, although they have a lot on so it's not the higher priority. I would suggest seeing .net core 3 full release is on the horizon they'll try and aim it for that version before 4 comes out. My round feel for it would be likely end of next year or early 2021 although they could surprise us. 

Aug 01, 2019 10:01
Vote:

Agree with both of you, as much as I would love a .NET Core 3.0 release of Episerver, I understand it's a long road, but I think it's important to communicate the plan.

It's also worth noting that no other enterprise-level .NET CMS platforms are able to run on .NET Core 3.0 yet either (although I do know the race is on for a couple of them for late 2020).

The facts are, ".NET Framework 4.8 will be the last major version of .NET Framework." https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/net-core-is-the-future-of-net/

The version of .NET Core after 3.0 is released, will be called .NET 5 (scheduled Nov 2020) https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-5/ 

Edited, Aug 01, 2019 10:32
Vote:

Ah yes I did read about .NET 5 a while ago but it slipped my mind. Microsoft always love switching up their versioning from time to time

Aug 01, 2019 10:33
Vote:

I'm interested to hear an official response too. It's a pretty big piece of work, but hopefully not as big as the jump from Episerver 6 -> 7 (Webforms -> MVC).

Fingers crossed it's within the next few years, but my guess is 2022 at the earliest given that there's indeed still quite a bit of the backend written in Webforms. 

Aug 01, 2019 16:13
Vote:

Edited, Aug 08, 2019 10:34
Vote:

we are moving along and preparing ourselves as well :)

Aug 13, 2019 7:50
Vote:

@Darren  Wasn't exactly the response I was looking for but at least it's a response.  Hopefully in the next 6 months they will give us a roadmap that includes when we can expect .Net Core support.  Net even really after a date just a general idea of what to expect.

Aug 13, 2019 8:05
Vote:

We are working on ASP.NET Core support at the moment. Check-out https://world.episerver.com/blogs/martin-ottosen/dates/2019/12/asp-net-core-beta-program/ for more information.

Dec 17, 2019 13:27
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.