Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour today (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Redirects in IIS

Vote:

Hi,

Im having an issue with using the built in HTTP Redirects in IIS and my Episerver 7.5 site. I have multiple sites configured like this;

www.mysite.fi -> goes to root folder www-fi

www.mysite.ee -> goes to root folder www-ee

The different sites have different languagebranches, such as;

www.mysite.fi/fi
www.mysite.fi/sv

www.mysite.ee/et
www.mysite.ee/ru

I would like to configure so that when the user tries to access www.mysite.fi it gets redirected to www.mysite.fi/fi and the same goes for www.mysite.ee, the user gets redirected to www.mysite.ee/et when trying to access this site. When I use this configuration;

https://i.imgur.com/oVDZxd2.jpg

I do indeed get redirected, but I get presented with an error saying something like "this site contains multiple redirects and the request is unable to continue". 

Do I need to override episerver-redirects in order to solve this? Do i need to modify my config-files?

Thanks!

Sep 03, 2014 11:53
Vote:

"this site contains multiple redirects and the request is unable to continue" means that there is a loop, it redirects to it self

Read more here on how to solve this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7018818/iis7-url-redirection-from-root-to-sub-directory

Sep 03, 2014 13:03
Vote:

You may try to select "Only redirect requests to content in this directory (not subdirectories)" in IIS
Sep 03, 2014 13:29
Vote:

Is there a best practice for handling episerver sites on a top domain level? 

My solution was creating a webroot-folder for each site, ala's:

www-fi

www-et

and pointing each site to it's corresponding catalogue. I also had to add the following to the web.config file;

That very much redirects me to the appropriate language when trying to access www.mysite.fi, but i doubt this is the correct way of doing it. 

Thanks for your replies, Henrik's link pointed me in the right direction.

Ahmet: As you can see in my screenshot, I did exactly that without any good result :/

Sep 03, 2014 13:51
Vote:

Great to know Robin.

Please mark it as answer if you think it helped you

Sep 03, 2014 15:10
Vote:

Do you have multiple sites or multiple language branches mapped to different domains within single site?

Edited, Sep 03, 2014 19:29
Vote:

Robin I wouldn't create two different directories for the two top domains. Instead I would create two bindings in IIS for the two top domains and have them go to the same web root.

Then I would have some redirect rules to correct a user going to www.mysite.fi/et to www.mysite.ee/et.

/T

Sep 03, 2014 19:31
Vote:

Valdis: Yes, we have multiple language branches mapped to different domains within a single site. www.mysite.fi/fi and www.mysite.se/fi for example. If thats what you mean..?

Toni: That sounds like a better plan, how would I implement these redirect rules though? Via a RedirectProvider?

Sep 04, 2014 8:47
Vote:

Robin, if you have multiple language branches in single site why not just use host binding and strictLanguageRouting? Johan can enlight you more:

http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Johan-Bjornfot/Dates1/2014/9/Changes-in-simple-address-routing/

Sep 08, 2014 23:39
Vote:

Valdis nailed it, strictLanguageRouting was exactly what I needed. Thanks everyone! 

Sep 09, 2014 7:43
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.