Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Object reference not set to an instance of an object in edit-mode

Vote:

I get this error when I try to view a page in edit-mode:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   EPiServer.Mail.Core.EP.Web.MailEditPanelPlugIn.CheckAccess() +80
   EPiServer.Mail.Core.EP.Web.MailEditPanelPlugIn.List() +16
   EPiServer.PlugIn.AssemblyTypeInfo.UseCustomLoader(Type type, PlugInAttribute matchAttribute, ArrayList list) +60

[PlugInException: A error occured while calling ICustomPlugInLoader.List from "EPiServer.Mail.Core.EP.Web.MailEditPanelPlugIn": Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   EPiServer.PlugIn.AssemblyTypeInfo.UseCustomLoader(Type type, PlugInAttribute matchAttribute, ArrayList list) +163
   EPiServer.PlugIn.AssemblyTypeInfo.ListPlugInDescriptorsForSort(PlugInAttribute matchAttribute, ArrayList list) +201
   EPiServer.PlugIn.PlugInLocator.Search(PlugInAttribute matchAttribute) +179
   EPiServer.UI.WebControls.TabStrip.LoadPlugIns() +127
   EPiServer.UI.WebControls.TabStrip.OnInit(EventArgs e) +44
   System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +140
   System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +311
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +480

The Mail-Tab doesn't work either. The weird thing is that the exact same project with the same settings works just fine on my colleages computer and it works just fine on our testserver.
I've tried installing both EPiServerMail 4.4 and 5.0 with the same results and trying putting EpiServerMail.Config in my root-section as well as copying the code from EPiServerMail.config directly into my web.config with the same results.

Obviously there's some installation or security rights that I'm missing but I can't figure it out. The website is an CMS 5 .net 3.5.

Mar 30, 2011 13:38
Vote:

Sorry no solution, but the same problem here. The backoffice has worked for over 6 months, but now the metioned error occurs. It occurs on a production site, so please provide a solution!

May 19, 2011 11:52
Vote:

This is probably caused by a problem where EPiServer.Mail can not figure out what site it should use for loading settings.

Verify that siteId has a value matching the values defined in episerver.framwork>siteHostMapping OR has a wildcard (*).

You should find siteId in episerver.common, episerver.community, episerver.mail and episerver.mail.communitysource. Most of them are in web.config but episerver.mail is by default in a separate file (episerver.mail.config).

If you only find hostname="Default" your config file is old and you need to replace hostname with siteId.

<episerver.mail>
  <sites>
    <site siteId="*" >
May 19, 2011 12:58
Vote:

Thank you for your response.

We don't use EPiServer mail, so we didn't have the configurationfile. I added an Episerver mail section in my web.config:

<sectionname="episerver.mail"type="EPiServer.Common.Configuration.EPiServerMailSection, EPiServer.Common.Mail"/>

and:

<episerver.mail>
 <sites>
  <site siteId="*">
  </site>
 </sites>
</episerver.mail>

Unfortunately, the same error keeps appearing. Is there a way to disable the control. We don't use EPi-mail, so i don't understand why the plugin is loaded suddenly in my tabstrip. I tried disabeling in tblPlugin, but no luck.

Thank you in advance!

May 19, 2011 13:33
Vote:

Just adding an empty configuration node for EPiServer.Mail will probably not help. Either you configure it completly or remove it.

You must have assemblies (dll) for EPiServer.Mail in your web application's bin-folder. It is bundled together with the Relate-templates so that is why you got it. You can safely remove them from you site or use the plug-in manager in admin mode to disable them.

Edited, May 19, 2011 13:52
Vote:

Thanks a lot, removing the EPiServer.Mail indeed fixed the Edit-mode for the content-pages!!

However, now i seem to have stumbled on the reason someone added the EPiServer.Mail dll's to the website. Opening the Community->Moderation Mode->Search Members page exposes the next error message:

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'EPiServer.Mail.Sources.EPiServerCommunitySearch.Web.EPiServerMailEPiServerCommunitySearchSource'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="EPiServerMailEPiServerCommunitySearchSource.ascx.cs" Inherits="EPiServer.Mail.Sources.EPiServerCommunitySearch.Web.EPiServerMailEPiServerCommunitySearchSource" %> Line 2:  
Line 3:  <div class="section"><% = EPiServer.Common.Globalization.GlobalizationHandler.Instance.GetTranslation("EPiServer.Mail.Sources.EPiServerCommunitySearch.Web.Header") %></div>

Source File: /EPiServerCommunity/Modules/Mypage/SearchExtensions/EPiServerMailEPiServerCommunitySearchSource.ascx    Line: 1

Adding the EPiServer.Mail.Sources.EPiServerCommunitySearch.dll to the bin-folder gives an error message that Episerver.Mail.Core is needed, so that's probably why the EPiServer.Mail dll's all ended up in the website.

May 19, 2011 14:25
Vote:

I suggest that you make a fresh installation using EPiServer Deployment Center of a Relate+ 2.0 site (or EPiServer Mail 5) and that you the copy the EPiServer.Mail.config file.

You can also look at the template-file used by the installer:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\Mail\5.0.343.136\Install\Configuration\EPiServerMail.config

May 19, 2011 15:13
Vote:

Hi

I am facing this same problem. This seems to be popping up randomly on my local development environment. 

I have checked the web.config and episervermail.config.

Is there anything else we can do about this issue?

first time error is: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   EPiServer.Mail.Core.EP.Web.MailEditPanelPlugIn.CheckAccess() +80
   EPiServer.Mail.Core.EP.Web.MailEditPanelPlugIn.List() +16
   EPiServer.PlugIn.AssemblyTypeInfo.UseCustomLoader(Type type, PlugInAttribute matchAttribute, ArrayList list) +60

[PlugInException: A error occured while calling ICustomPlugInLoader.List from "EPiServer.Mail.Core.EP.Web.MailEditPanelPlugIn": Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

then the error points to this when i refresh the page

Object ref not set :- src="https://<%EPiServer.Mail.Core.EPiServerMailModule.Settings.BrokerHostName %> 

FileName :- AccountStatistics.ascx

Appreciate your help! 

Regards,

Jun 28, 2013 14:23
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.