Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Export and Import CMS content and Images

Vote:

Hi,

I have a local testing Episerver 6 R2 CMS set up and have added a lot of page content together with some nice looking Carousels and sliders all of which I add the content using the latest version of Composer. The Composer tool is set up for me to add images, from the Image Library, to the pages, carousel and slider controls. It all works great.

I then wanted to Export all my pages, Page Types, Templates and images etc across to a UAT server. The majority of the import worked well apart from the Images. Every Image lost their path and the only way I can see is for me to go through every page re-pointing the images to the correct location in the Image Library.

Is there an easier way that the Export and Import routine will work for Images too?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Nov 21, 2012 11:20
Vote:

Normally the easiest/fastest way of moving content on mass is to backup the database and VPP folders on move them over to a different enviornment. Obviously this means the entire site and all the content gets moved over...

Nov 21, 2012 20:18
Vote:

The method you suggest could be refined if we knew exactly which tables were affected by images.  It should be simple enough to put together a script to add the relevant table rows to the new database from that.

Edit: A quick look through the tables indicates that dbo.tblRelation and dbo.tblItem contain the bulk of the image data but that may not be a complete list.

Edited, Nov 26, 2012 12:44
Vote:

Hi,

We can't really do this as there are other parties involved in the creation of the website so moving the entire database would not work for us. Is there no other way to import all the site's images over?

Dec 05, 2012 10:19
Vote:

If its just the images you want to import (i.e. VPP folders) then its probably easiest to install the EPiServer Office Add-in and simply drag them into the new structure.

Another option is to use the native path provider to simply point the VPP folder to a real folder on disk (you do lose versioning as a result). Using the nativepathprovider means you can interact directly with VPP folders via EPiServer File Manager and on disk as they are in the same structure. See the following link for more information on the native path provider: http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Tech-Notes/EPiServer-CMS-6/EPiServer-CMS-60/Virtual-Path-Providers/ 

http://world.episerver.com/modules/forum/pages/thread.aspx?id=15788

If its only images in a single folder another option for importing in bulk would be to look at EPiFastUpload http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Alexander-Haneng/Dates/2012/3/EPiFastUpload-renamed-FastUpload-Now-available-on-Nuget/ 

David

Edited, Dec 05, 2012 10:45
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.