Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to work with publish date on a page

Vote:

Hi everyone,

Our editors have some questions regardsing how to work with archived pages and the publish page function. They unpublish pages and move to a archive. A couple of weeks later they move the page back to the same location and want to publish it again.

This is the step they take:

1. Page is unpublished and moved to archive.

2. X time later the page is moved back to same location.

3. They modifed the "Published" property to a time in the future.

4. They remove the unpublished date and saves the page.

This will make the page get published on the date they want to. By doing this there will be no icon on the page in the tree view that tells the editor that the page is going to be published.

Is this working progess wrong? 

Nov 22, 2013 9:19
Vote:

First - I can confirm your observation. When a page that has previously been published is rescheduled for a future publish date, there will be no "clock" icon in the page tree. This might be a bug or at least a usability issue.

However their approach to archiving is a bit strange.

Are they using the built-in Archive function (setting an Expire Date and an Archive target page), or actually unpublishing and moving the page manually?

And why are they moving the page back to the original location a few weeks after archiving it? If you're going to republish the page later anyway, why bother archiving it to another location? Just unpublish the page temporarily, then republish it when ready. Remember: moving a page will affect its URL, which is bad for any external links pointing to the content.

Nov 22, 2013 22:56
Vote:

Hi Arlid and everyone else.

I got some more, or atleast a better explanation of the problem. The problem has nothing to do with moving the page. The page can be unpublished and the published at the same place in the tree and still get this problem.

The main problem (which I did not mentioned for some reason) is that the page will be visible before the publish date.

Here is the step:

1. Unpublish page.

2. Editor want to publish again with a change, let say a title or something.

3. Need to remove the unpublish date before publishing.

4. Set the new publish date in the future.

Now a yellow marked text will show that tells us that the page will be visible at selected date. The page is also visible on the page which is not good.

Is this process wrong?

Feb 06, 2014 14:33
Vote:

Arild, how do you republish in EpiServer 7?

Feb 06, 2014 14:38
Vote:

I tried to reproduce this behaviour. Here's my approach:

1. I publish a new article, publish date now > press PUBLISH. Page is now published and visible

2. I edit the article, set expiry date now > press PUBLISH. Page is now unpublished, browsing its URL will now send me to the login page.

3. I edit the article, remove expiry date, and simultaneously set publish date tomorrow > press PUBLISH. Page will now be republished tomorrow, in the mean time browsing its URL will send me to the login page (it is unpublished until tomorrow).

By "page is visible on the page" - do you mean that you can see the unpublished page when you browse its URL?

Or do you mean that it appears in menus, lists, etc?

Feb 06, 2014 14:46
Vote:

(Oh, and of course you must be logged OUT to see if a page is really unpublished for anonymous visitors. Being logged in can trick you sometimes)

Feb 06, 2014 15:44
Vote:

It appears in my menu list. I use this to get the pages: ..Where(c => c.VisibleInMenu && c.IsPublished())) Since it does not have an unpublished icon it must be published. Do I need to add some logic to check if it's published and have a scheduled publish date? this is weird... I am logged out when testing...know it can be tricky some times :)
Feb 07, 2014 10:58
Vote:

Sorry, IsPublished() is our own function and I have to make sure this one is ok.
Feb 07, 2014 11:07
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.