Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Troubleshooting search and indexingservice

Vote:

in almost every EPiServer I've setup I need to struggle to get the search-function to work properly. So is also the case in my current CMS7-project. Is there any good walkthrough how to get everything setup from an empty EPiServer-instance? Actually, I've got the Alloy-project running on the same machine, and it works fine. But my own project just wont work. Here are my main issues:

I've used EPiServer Deployment Center to install the "EPiServer Search"-module. After a while I'll get some index-files created in the Index-folder and use Luke to explore the index. But it's all empty, and I have no idea where to start looking.

Sometimes the index is not created at all, is there anyway to init the indexing manually?

If there are any logs regarding the indexingservice, where can I read those?

Jan 18, 2013 16:22
Vote:

Hi Calle,

Did you solve this?

Apr 23, 2013 14:31
Vote:

First of all, make sure that the account running the application pool has permission to read/write in the Index-folder. And use this to rebuild the index.

Use this piece of code to reset (delete) existing index:

EPiServer.Search.SearchHandler.Instance.ResetIndex( "default" );

Use this piece of code to trigger re-indexing (a background process will be started, so keep the application running):

EPiServer.Search.ReIndexManager reIndexManager = new Search.ReIndexManager();
reIndexManager.ReIndex();

You'll notice that files will be created and deleted in this folder during indexing: ..\Index\Main\. This initial indexing is completed when changes in this folder stops, takes less then a minute on a site with just a few pages in it.

Edited, Apr 23, 2013 22:13
Vote:

Hi,

I have a problem with episerver 7.5 for content search with Lucene:

- the content search don't works

- the file IndexingService/IndexingService.svc is a blank page when I access from browser

- when I start to build(and delete old data) the index is not created

Thank you!

Apr 11, 2014 10:55
Vote:

We're also experiencing problems (EPiServer 7.1).

The following is written to the error log:

2014-04-16 00:00:23,554 [18] ERROR SearchSettings: Update batch could not be sent to service uri 'http://<DOMAIN>/IndexingService/IndexingService.svc/update/?accesskey=local'. Message: 'The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at EPiServer.Search.RequestHandler.MakeHttpRequest(String url, NamedIndexingServiceElement namedIndexingServiceElement, String method, Stream postData, Action`1 responseHandler)
   at EPiServer.Search.RequestHandler.SendRequest(SyndicationFeed feed, String namedIndexingService, Collection`1 ids)'
2014-04-16 00:00:23,570 [18] ERROR SearchSettings: Send batch for named index 'serviceName' failed. Items are left in queue.

When we try to browse to the file IndexingService/IndexingService.svc we get a page displaying 500 - Internal server error.

How can one troubleshoot these issues?

Apr 16, 2014 16:04
Vote:

This is the best blog post I've read about setting up search http://sveinaandahl.blogspot.se/2013/06/how-to-install-episerver-search-for.html.

I have hade problems with the adress to the search service in web.config where only the server internal ip has worked.

Apr 16, 2014 19:32
Vote:

For whatever it's worth, I managed to resolve my 500 error.

I used remote desktop to connect to our server and there browse to the file IndexingService/IndexingService.svc. Got a more detailed error message stating duplicate elements in Web.config.

Now I'm getting other type of errors:

2014-04-17 10:53:19,079 [30] ERROR IndexingService: No match for client IP 192.168.X.XXX. Access denied for access key local.

2014-04-17 10:53:30,389 [104] ERROR IndexingService: Reset of index: '' failed. Index not found!

2014-04-17 10:53:30,389 [120] ERROR SearchSettings: Could not reset index '' for service uri 'http://<DOMAIN>/IndexingService/IndexingService.svc/reset/?namedindex=&accesskey=local'. Message: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at EPiServer.Search.RequestHandler.MakeHttpRequest(String url, NamedIndexingServiceElement namedIndexingServiceElement, String method, Stream postData, Action`1 responseHandler)
   at EPiServer.Search.RequestHandler.ResetIndex(String namedIndexingService, String namedIndex)

Apr 17, 2014 11:03
Fernando Wolff - Mar 02, 2022 14:59
Just adding here in case someone has the same issue yet.
I was able to fix the issue "No match for client IP XX Access denied for access key local" by adding the server's IP to the client's add tag on web.config. Like so:
add name="local" description="local" ipAddress="X.X.X.X" allowLocal="true" readonly="false"
Vote:

I am also having problem with this in almost every project. Maby it is time for EPiServer to let everyone use one Find-index for this, instead of this lucene-implementation.

May 02, 2014 20:01
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.