Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Error creating project with VS Integration

Vote:

I'm having trouble creating a project through the VS integration. I'm getting an error when EDC is trying to create the database. See errormessage below.

I'm using Win8, VS 2012, SQL Server 2012 Developer.

Does anybody have a clue what might be wrong, maybe a misconfiguration of SQL Server?

/Mikael

Brief errormessage:

Error - Cannot validate argument on parameter 'SqlServerName'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.

Additional info:

An unhandled error has occured:
The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and
then try the command again.
When executing
At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\7.0.586.1\Install\System Scripts\Instal
l Database (SqlServer).ps1:139 char:18
+ -SqlServerName $wizard.Database.DatabaseServerName `
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\7.0.586.1\Install\System Scripts\Install Database (SqlServer).ps1:139 char:18
+ -SqlServerName $wizard.Database.DatabaseServerName `
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
System.Management.Automation.ParentContainsErrorRecordException: Cannot validate argument on parameter 'SqlServerName'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.

Nov 11, 2012 21:23
Vote:

It seems that CMS installation wizard failed to detect SQL server instance name. Do you have either default SQL server instance or an instance named SQLEXPRESS?

Nov 12, 2012 8:13
Vote:

Thanks Sergeii, you were correct. I had a named instance called "SQLSERVER". After installing another instance called "SQLEXPRESS", creating a project worked like a charm.

Nov 12, 2012 9:36
Vote:

I have got the same problem. It throws the same error message during creating an EpiServer projet. I'm using Windows8/SQL server 2012, SQL server 2008/VS 2012.

I have installed CMS7 and CMS6R2. I could to create an EPiServer7 project from Deployment Center. But it is not possible to create a default project in VS. I installed sql instances with names SQL2012 and SQL2008 for each version. I thought it could be problem because there are different sql version on the PC, so I stoped SQL server2008, but it does not help. It comes up the error message:

Error - Cannot validate argument on parameter 'SqlServerName'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.

An unhandled error has occured:

The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and

then try the command again.

When executing

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\7.0.586.1\Install\System Scripts\Instal

l Database (SqlServer).ps1:139 char:18

+         -SqlServerName $wizard.Database.DatabaseServerName `

+                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\7.0.586.1\Install\System Scripts\Install Database (SqlServer).ps1:139 char:18

+         -SqlServerName $wizard.Database.DatabaseServerName `

+                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

System.Management.Automation.ParentContainsErrorRecordException: Cannot validate argument on parameter 'SqlServerName'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.

Jan 14, 2013 14:59
Vote:

Hello Kianoush,

This is a bug (#91407) in the installer. As a workaround you can install either SQL server default instance or an instance named SQLEXPRESS

Jan 14, 2013 15:14
Vote:

Hi Sergii,

Thanks, it does work when you have a default instance, but there is another problem with the VS integration: When you add an episerver page template to the project in VS, a diaog must ask if you want to register a new Page Type, so it will be ignored in the actual VS integration. Is it a known bug on the integration?

Jan 14, 2013 19:29
Vote:

I have the same error with a slightly different way of reaching it.  VS2008/SQL Server 2008 default instance.  Visual Studio integration runs without error and the project is created.  I modify the project to use IIS vs. IIS Express so that the site can be modified using Deployment Center.  Next launch Deployment Center (run as administrator) and attempt to add Commerce to the site just created.  The DB information can be entered through the module installation wizard screens but, on completing the wizard and installing Commerce, the message appears.  

Jan 15, 2013 16:01
Vote:

I have the same issue as Jeff Dockman - any solution to this? Any workarounds?

Oct 22, 2013 13:52
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.