Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Does Search & Navigation (Find) use C:\Windows\Temp?

Vote:

Hi!

Maybe this is the wrong forum but the other one seemed "dead". Anyway...

Does anyone know if Optimizely Search & Navigation (Find) use the folder C:\Windows\Temp for some local caching or such?

We've discovered that tmp-files and even EXE-files are written to our local Windows temp-folder. The files appear and then disappear.

However, I managed to catch a couple of TMP-files and it turned out they were actually PDF-documents from one of our external systems. It's really weird, but because they were PDF-files we suspect it has something to do with document indexing.

And yes, we've scanned using antivirus tools but nothing came up.

Appreciate any help!

Mar 11, 2024 10:27
Vote:

Assuming you are testing locally, I guess you use tool like Process Explorer to see which processes are accessing which files. You probably catch IIS red handed if it is indeed writing to temp folder :) 

Mar 11, 2024 17:28
Markus Andersson - Mar 12, 2024 7:03
Well, that's the thing: we've used Process Explorer (not locally but on one of our test servers) and seen that our service account connected to a specific web application is responsible.

But how can this be? Does Search & Navigation somehow write temporary files when it's indexing? The files appear every hour when we run a job that's supposed to index external files accessible via a content provider.

I've tried JetBrains dotPeek to try and find some clue but with no luck.
Vote:

I can confirm S&N does not touch the temp folder, at least, not explicitly. It does not even use blob but only the BinaryData of the IContentMedia by implementation of IAttachmentParser. I don't recall the blob storage storing data into temp folder, if it does - only because of the underlying provider implementation.

one possibility though - are you using the Azure blob storage or local? if it's Azure blob storage, it is possible that the provider needs to download the file locally before passing it to Find. just a guess

Mar 12, 2024 7:46
Markus Andersson - Mar 12, 2024 9:50
In our organization we're still running our websites on-premise, on Windows servers. So we're not using Azure blob storage.

Do you think the underlying code still has to download stuff to disk to be able to index it?

Along with the TMP-files, EXE-files are also created.

The reason I started this thread is because we got an antivirus alarm a while back. It said it had detected malware. Now on the other hand it's not setting off any alarms, maybe because of updated antivirus definitions.
Quan Mai - Mar 12, 2024 9:59
no, it is just my guess, but provider like Azure blob storage one would need to download it somehow.
If you are using the local file storage, you can just scan the folder for blob (defined in the episerverframework.config if you are using CMS 11 or older). but if you got alarm with temp files but not that folder, then maybe it's something else, not S&N related
Markus Andersson - Mar 14, 2024 11:32
So in your opinion, is it possible files are temporarily downloaded to disk even though Azure blob storage isn't used?
Quan Mai - Mar 14, 2024 11:37
no I did not mean that. I meant I am guessing Azure blob storage provider would likely have to download files to temp folder. But if you are NOT using Azure blob storage it would not happen.
if you AV can't detect any threats in your local blob folder, then it is good I suppose.
Markus Andersson - Mar 14, 2024 11:50
Ok, I understand.
Yes, it's indeed a good sign our AV isn't sending any more alarms.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.