EPiServer 7 takes a new approach on how to work with content and your online presence. Here we will summarize the most important concepts of EPiServer 7 and features included, both for editors, marketers, site owners and developers.
The EPiServer 7 release includes the following:
- EPiServer 7 CMS
- EPiServer 7 CMO (included in CMS license)
- EPiServer 7 Relate (licensed separately)
- EPiServer 7 Mail (licensed separately)
- EPiServer 7 Find (licensed separately)
- EPiServer 7 Social Reach (free add-on)
- Google Analytics for EPiServer 7 (free add-on)
Below we present an overview of the most important features and improvements in EPiServer 7.
Editors and Marketers
- New user interface with one edit view
- Content sharing and reuse across websites, sections and channels
- Multi-channel publishing
- Built-in A/B testing for page conversions
- Campaign management through multiple channels such as social and e-mail
- New and updated add-ons from EPiServer
- Add-on store for easy installation and upgrading
- Simplified installation and license management
- Strongly typed content models
- Full support for Web Forms and MVC
- Plugable user interface
- Separation of data and rendering
- Localization services
- Consolidated search
- Improved mirroring service
- Improved Visual Studio integration
- Alloy demo site templates
Features in EPiServer 7
Find out more about the most important new and improved features in EPiServer 7.
- Simple and intuitive editor interface with quick-access to advanced editing features only when needed.
- Improved and simplified publishing flow with primary draft and read-only versions to avoid conflicting updates on multiple versions.
- Adaptive display makes it possible to edit content in smaller devices such as a mobile phone.
- Real-time updates for global enterprise solutions with editors working in different time zones.
- Improved upload of multiple files through drag-and-drop to the File Manager.
- Create links using drag-and-drop of pages from the page tree.
- Add content items such as blocks or pages through drag-and-drop into the content areas of a page.
- Share and reuse content across the site using blocks, creating for instance a campaign teaser in no time at all.
- You can create blocks based on block types, just as you create a new page by selecting a page type.
- Shared blocks can easily be found through the built-in search feature.
- Create content in one place and preview and publish to multiple devices such as computers and mobile phones.
- Preview the content prior to publishing to see what it looks like in different resolutions and screen sizes.
- Work with landing page optimization and page conversions using the EPiServer CMO module.
- Stay on top of your online presence and manage campaigns spanning across channels such as social, e-mail and AdWords, using add-ons from EPiServer.
- EPiServer Social Reach for pushing online content to social channels
- Google Analytics for EPiServer for statistics tracking
- EPiServer Find for powerful search extensions
- EPiServer Mail for creating e-mail newsletters
- Microsoft Office Integration for blog publishing
- Add-on store with easy access to modules for extending and upgrading your EPiServer solution.
- As a site owner you can easily install, upgrade and un-install add-ons without the need of a developer.
- New user interface in EPiServer CMS can easily be upgraded with latest changes from the Add-on store.
- One installation package includes all products.
- One license file applies for all products.
- Use the strongly typed model for pages and blocks, simplifying development, test and deployment.
- The strongly typed model will make any automatic properties on a typed page or block class to reflect the values of the backing PropertyData collection without the need of writing any code.
- Updated APIs with generic classes and methods to return typed PageData and BlockData objects, as well as the possibility of defining PageTypes and BlockTypes through annotations in code.
- Choose the design pattern you prefer or combine both WebForms and MVC in the same solution.
- A set of MVC sample templates is provided based on the strongly typed model for page and block types.
- The sample property types rendering includes BlockData, CategoryList, LinkItem, LinkItemCollection, PageReference, Url, XForm and XHtmlString.
- Plug-in your own gadgets to the panes in the user interface, to customize the end user experience.
- Context awareness where it is possible to have the page/user control to automatically reload when the context (for instance a page) is changed, to display customized content.
- Support for loading Web Form pages and user controls into components of the new user interface, making it possible to port existing plug-ins built with ASP.NET.
- Built-in support for different renderings of the same content depending on context, ideal for multi-channel pages and shared blocks.
- Support for loading and saving objects using a generic REST data store, making it possible to write controller like classes sending data in a given format using JSON.
- New customizable localization service provider with improved options for retrieving localized string resources, where language files are stored as embedded resources.
- Consolidated localization services across EPiServer products.
- Consolidated search using EPiServer Full-Text search engine for all EPiServer products.
- The built-in search has been updated to search for all types of content items including blocks.
- Possible to configure the mirroring service as a fully connected mesh topology, detecting if the content (files, pages and blocks) has been mirrored before.
- Updated MS Visual Studio integration making it easier to create a new project with support for strongly typed pages and blocks.
- Easy access to the latest EPiServer VS integration from the Extension Manager Online Gallery inside Visual Studio.
- A full set of demo templates available, illustrating the many features in EPiServer 7 CMS.
- Responsive design based on the Bootstrap framework, showing how to implement layouts that work across screens.
- Block preview that shows all different views a block can be displayed in.
- Express installation of a demo site based on the new Alloy sample templates.
- Microsoft has reported an issue in MS Internet Explorer 9, saying that the website might render only partially or not render at all. This occurs if you have Adobe Type 1 fonts such as Helvetica, Times, Courier and possibly Symbol installed on your computer.
- System requirements for EPiServer 7
- Download EPiServer 7 (CMS with included products)
- Developer documentation EPiServer 7
- User guides for EPiServer 7