Join our community!

Get everything you need to start developing EPiServer solutions.

Page Type Tabs For EPiServer

Joshua Folkerts
Wednesday, 10 August 2011

• Number of votes: 9
  • Views: 4560
  • Average rating:

Since I started developing in EPiServer, I have always found how nicely written their framework is.  One thing i have noticed though, is the fact that you really can't hook into their "Create New", "Delete Page" pages.  I have also had an issue that there is not a way to group PageTypes in the admin mode or Create new screen.

I have been working on a project at work where there are a boat load of PageTypes and it has become quite tiresome searching for the right PageType.  You know the PageType exists, you just can't find it in the list.  So I decided to dig into the create new page and find a way to group these PageTypes and allow searching as well in case they do not want to use the tabs.  The only issue that i have found so far is there is no admin/edit interface to group PageTypes but that is okay with me since i am a coder.  I have although created the same thing without using PageTypeBuilder but as mentioned earlier, I am a coder so I chose to use this blog and spend more time with this project.

Using PageTypeTabs

In order to use PageTypeTabs, you will need to make sure you have reference PageTypeBuilder in your project.  This code does use PageTypeBuilder to find the proper PageTypes based on the classes we marked with a PageTypeTab Attribute.

Creating a Tab

1: public class NewTab : PageTypeTab
   2: {
   3:     public override string Name
   4:     {
   5:         get { return "New Tab"; } // name of tab in ui
   6:     }
   8:     public override int SortIndex
   9:    {
  10:         get { return 300; } // default is 100
  11:    }
  12: }
  13:

Adding PageTypeTab Attribute To Our PageType Class

Now that we have our PageTypeTab created, we need to assign it to a PageType by adding an attribute to the PageType class we created using PageTypeBuilder. Below, you will see find the syntax of adding the attribute to the class.

1: [PageTypeTab( Tab=typeof(NewTab))]
   2: [PageType(Filename = "/NewPage.aspx", Name = "Album Page", AvailableInEditMode = true, Description = "This pagetype is of NewPage.")]
   3: public class NewPage : TypedPageData
   4: {
   5: }

Adding Virtual Path Mapping

Now that wasn't so hard now was it?  It is the same process as adding a tab to a PageTypeProperty in PageTypeBuilder.  This isn't by accident, I used some of Joel's framework architecture to make it as common as possible so you don't have to do it another way all the time.

There is one last step to do and that is tap into the CreateNew page URL and show our page instead of EPiServer’s page.  The following code will need to be added to the episerver.config file in order for us to intercept the CreateNew page URL.

1: <virtualPath customFileSummary="~/FileSummary.config">
   2:     <providers>
   3:         <clear />
   4:         <add showInFileManager="false" virtualName="CreateNewPage" virtualPath="~/Templates/PageTypeTemplates/Overrides/CreateNewPage.aspx" bypassAccessCheck="false" physicalPath="" name="CreateNewPageMapping" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathMappedProvider,EPiServer" />
   5:     </providers>
   6:     <filters />
   7: </virtualPath>
   8: <!-- virtualPathMappings are used by "VirtualPathMappedProvider". -->
   9: <virtualPathMappings>
  10:     <add url="~/secure/CMS/Edit/NewPage.aspx" mappedUrl="~/Templates/PageTypeTemplates/Overrides/CreateNewPage.aspx" />
  11: </virtualPathMappings>
  12:

What We've Achieved (Search built in)

FinalLookOfPageTypeTab

FinalLookOfPageTypeTab_2

PageTypeTabSearch

Get The Files

Comments

• Thanks Joshua!

(By Elena Gorman , 11 August 2011 16:43, Permanent link)
  • Nicely done! I bet this will come in handy for larger projects!

(By Toni , 11 August 2011 17:12, Permanent link)
  • Very much so on large project, we're working on one with over 40 pagetypes (including widgets) and it makes it so much easier. Thanks for the compliments.

(By Joshua Folkerts , 11 August 2011 17:25, Permanent link)
  • I like what I see! This is really handy when different editors uses different page types as well. Any way to extend it so a certain page type can be shown on two different Tabs?

(By Erik Nordin Wahlberg , 11 August 2011 17:43, Permanent link)
  • Very nice!

(By David Knipe , 11 August 2011 18:08, Permanent link)
  • Very good work ! And why not a NuGet package ?

(By Mikael Swawola , 11 August 2011 20:18, Permanent link)
  • Really nice!

(By Paul Smith , 11 August 2011 20:33, Permanent link)
  • I definitely can make this so you can add the same pagetype to multiple tabs. The only issue right now is i do remove the pagetypes from the available list and what isn't put under a tab, remains under the default tab. Any ideas how you would like this and i will modify to fit your needs.

Also, I did add it to nuget so hope this helps as well.

BTW, thanks for the compliments.

(By Joshua Folkerts , 11 August 2011 21:20, Permanent link)
  • Good stuff! Great way to organize a larger number of page types....and to find the one you want via search.

(By Jeff Wallace , 11 August 2011 21:56, Permanent link)
  • +1 Very nice

(By pappabj0rn , 14 August 2011 10:14, Permanent link)
  • Awesome work, Josh!

(By Allan Thræn , 14 August 2011 18:47, Permanent link)
  • Really, really cool! Great job!

(By bergdaniel , 14 August 2011 21:10, Permanent link)
  • Excellent work Josh!

(By Mats , 15 August 2011 12:55, Permanent link)
  • Great job with a very useful result for editors!

(By Andrea Filyo , 15 August 2011 20:02, Permanent link)
  • Nice!

(By Cecilia von Wachenfeldt , 15 August 2011 21:08, Permanent link)
  • Looks great! But how do I install and use it?

I have:
    - Copied the dll file to a Dependencies folder and added a reference to the dll in the project.
    - Created a new class for the tab
    - Added the appropriate attribute to one of my PageTypeBuilder classes.
    - Added a virtual path provider, and a virtual path mapping (and made changes to the paths to correspond to where I have EPiServer UI located).

After recompiling everything, I still get to the old page for selecting page types.

I'm running EPiServer CMS 6 R2.

(By Patrik Berglund , 16 August 2011 12:01, Permanent link)
  • Did you try restarting IIS. I have noticed that sometimes this has been an issue, just open command prompt and type in -> iisreset

(By Joshua Folkerts , 18 August 2011 18:38, Permanent link)
  • Great work! Is the source code available? I would like to globalize the CreateNewPage.aspx.

(By Mattias Olsson , 02 September 2011 15:21, Permanent link)
  • Great idea!
    I'm running CMS 6 R2 and have the same issue as PaddtSe above. Everything works except for the virtual path mapping that does not seem to take effect. I can browse to CreateNewPage.aspx directly.
    Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution?

(By David Sandeberg , 05 September 2011 03:34, Permanent link)
  • Great work!
    Some questions:

1. Which version of PageTypeBuilder have you used ? I am using the the latest version form Joel (1.9.2) and in this version PageTypeBuilder.Discovery.PageTypeDefinitionLocator does not have a parameterless constructor?

2. We are using Composer which already have a virtualpathmapping of newpage
    <add url="~/UI/CMS/edit/newpage.aspx" mappedUrl="~/dropit/plugin/extension/ui/edit/extensionnewpage.aspx" />. Any ideas on how to handle that?

lars

(By Lars Kolsaker , 08 September 2011 14:31, Permanent link)
  • Great addition to the platform!
    One little problem that I've come across though. I've included the classes using Nuget and now I'm trying to declare these tabs in a class library where we have all our PageTypeBuilder classes declared but for some reason this won't build. If I move my PageTypeTab-class to the web applicaiton it works fine, do you know if it should be possible to declare the PageType tabs in an external class library or do we need to move our PageTypeBuilder classes to our web application project? Or am I doing something else wrong?
    Best regards
    Martin

(By Martin Emanuelsson , 13 January 2012 08:44, Permanent link)
  • Looks great but I am unable to use it with CMS 6.0. Is the source code available for this project, since it uses PageTypeBuilder?

(By Ulrik Andersson , 14 January 2012 11:06, Permanent link)
  • Nice!
    I ran across a problem though. Administrators can only effectively set create permissions on the page types on the default tab. On any other tab, all page types are listed regardless of the permissions and the editors group memberships.

Also, an easy way to rename the default tab to a custom label name would be nice.

(By Henrik Ljungdahl , 19 March 2012 10:20, Permanent link)

About the blogger