Last updated: Jun 05 2018
Episerver Personalization developer guides
Episerver Personalization is a suite of cloud-based products, combining machine learning, artificial intelligence, and statistical analysis.
Personalized content recommendations online.
Personalized product recommendations online.
Personalized email recommendations and message triggers.
Personalized search results.
As part of the onboarding, Episerver will send the required configuration keys and credentials to the technical contact for your project. Use these to configure the tracking for your websites. Contact Episerver for questions regarding the onboarding process.
How it works
The Episerver Personalization suite is based on a core personalization system, and product-specific native integrations. The personalization system has a recommendation service that is fed with visitor tracking data from CMS, Commerce, and Find, providing recommendations for content (Episerver Advance), products (Episerver Perform), and search results (Episerver Personalized Find).
To get the personalization up and running for a site, you need to configure the access to the tracking API, so that you can import usage data, and get recommendations back. There are different integration methods to connect with the tracking service, and different native integrations depending on the product for which you are configuring personalization.
Below are available methods for integrating with the core personalization tracking API, to send and receive tracking data and recommendations in JSON format.
See Integration guides.
For each product, you also need to install the native integrations. These are NuGet packages providing product-specific access to the tracking APIs.
- Episerver Advance. Requires EPiServer.Tracking.Pageview and EPiServer.Personalization.Cms.
- Episerver Perform. Requires EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce.
- Personalized Find. Requires EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce and EPiServer.Find.Personalization.
See Native integrations.
The core part of the personalization functionality consists of a feed providing the input data, combined with a tracking script that enables Episerver to track behavior and serve suitable recommendations. When setting up the personalization, you need to configure the feed and import the source data, for example a product catalog.
See Data import guides.
This is an API that the client calls which, primarily, returns product recommendations or content. The API allows machines to request personalized product recommendations to be used for example in printed output, in iMirrors, or on store terminals.
See Personalization API.
Insight and Profile Store
There is also a data management platform component - Episerver Profile Store, which stores and processes tracking data, to be used for visitor profile segmentation. Episerver Insight is the user interface for working with visitor profile segments for targeted campaigns.
Below is an overview of NuGet packages related to the personalization features. When installing, selecting a main native integration package will usually also install other required packages, based on their dependencies.
- EPiServer.Profiles.Client. Main package for tracking of an Episerver site to Profile Store.
- EPiServer.Profiles.Client.Common. Contains common classes used by other packages.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Core. Generic package for tracking.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Cms. CMS integration for tracking of data.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Commerce. Commerce integration for tracking (Perform, Reach, Profile Store, Personalized Find).
- EPiServer.Tracking.PageView. Native integration for tracking of CMS/content data to Profile Store (Advance).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Common. Common base APIs for EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce and EPiServer.Find.Personalization.
- EPiServer.Find.Personalization. Native integration for search recommendations (Personalized Find).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce. Native integration for product recommendations (Perform, Reach).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Cms. Native integration for content recommendations (Advance).
- EPiServer.Personalization. Integrates Personalization Portal UI (Perform, Reach) with the Episerver global menu.
See Integration guides and Native integrations how to configure and set up product and content recommendation functionality for the Episerver product suite. See Insight and Personalization for setting up tracking clients and the profile management user interface with the Episerver Personalization suite.