Last updated: Sep 19 2018
Episerver Personalization developer guides
Episerver Personalization is a suite of cloud-based products, combining machine learning, artificial intelligence, and statistical analysis.
Personalized content recommendations online.
Personalized product recommendations online.
Personalized email recommendations and message triggers.
Personalized search results.
In this topic
- Getting started
- How it works
As part of the onboarding, Episerver sends the required configuration keys and credentials to the technical contact for your project. Use the keys to configure the tracking for your websites. Contact Episerver for questions regarding the onboarding process.
The Episerver Personalization suite is based on a tracking component, a core personalization system, and product-specific native integrations. The personalization system has a recommendation service that is fed with visitor tracking data from CMS, Commerce, and Find, providing recommendations for content (Episerver Advance), products (Episerver Perform), and search results (Episerver Personalized Find). The tracking data can be stored in Episerver Profile Store (Customer Data Platform), or any other source.
To get the personalization running for a site, you need to configure the access to the tracking API, so that you can post usage data and get recommendations back. There are separate integration methods to connect with the tracking service, and separate native integrations depending on the product for which you are configuring personalization.
Install the integration package that tracks changes to entities in CMS such as content, categories, sites, content types and synchronizes them with the service. A scheduled job exists for the first time provisioning of content from the site to the service, changes made to content after this point are tracked automatically.
- Install NuGet package EPiServer.CMS.CloudSynchronization.
- Add the following settings to web.config, access keys comes with the product (Advance):
<appSettings> <add key="episerver:CmsCloudSynchronizationKey" value="X" /> <add key="episerver:CmsCloudSynchronizationSecret" value="Y" /> <add key="episerver:CmsCloudSynchronizationUri" value="https://Z.epcc.episerver.net" /> </appSettings>
- Go to Admin view and start job Cloud Provisioning manually.
Note: Do not schedule this job, it should only run once.
- Verify that it completed successfully in the job history.
The following APIs integrate with the core personalization tracking API to send and receive tracking data and recommendations in JSON format.
See Integration guides.
For each product, you also need to install the native integrations. The following NuGet packages provide product-specific access to the tracking APIs.
- Episerver Advance. Requires EPiServer.Tracking.Pageview and EPiServer.Personalization.Cms.
- Episerver Perform. Requires EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce.
- Personalized Find. Requires EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce and EPiServer.Find.Personalization.
See Native integrations.
For Commerce sites, the core part of the personalization functionality consists of a feed providing the input data, combined with a tracking script that enables Episerver to track behavior and serve suitable recommendations. When you set up the personalization, configure the feed and import the source data, such as a product catalog.
See Data import guides.
The client calls the Personalization API that (primarily) returns product recommendations or content. The API lets machines request personalized product recommendations to be used for example in printed output, in iMirrors, or on store terminals.
See Personalization API.
- Episerver Profile Store is a data management platform component that stores and processes tracking data to be used for visitor profile segmentation.
- Episerver Insight is the user interface for working with visitor profile segments for targeted campaigns.
The following NuGet packages are related to tracking and personalization features. When installing, select a main native integration package to also install other required packages, based on its dependencies.
- EPiServer.Profiles.Client. Main package for tracking of an Episerver site to Profile Store.
- EPiServer.Profiles.Client.Common. Contains common classes used by other packages.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Core. Generic package for tracking.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Cms. CMS integration for tracking of data.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Commerce. Commerce integration for tracking (Perform, Reach, Profile Store, Personalized Find).
- EPiServer.Tracking.PageView. Native integration for tracking of CMS/content data to Profile Store (Advance).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Common. Common base APIs for EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce and EPiServer.Find.Personalization.
- EPiServer.Find.Personalization. Native integration for search recommendations (Personalized Find).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce. Native integration for product recommendations (Perform, Reach).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Cms. Native integration for content recommendations (Advance).
- EPiServer.Personalization. Integrates Personalization Portal UI (Perform, Reach) with the Episerver global menu.
- EPiServer.CMS.CloudSynchronization. Configures the content integration service.
Integration guides and Native integrations shows how to configure and set up product and content recommendation functionality for the Episerver product suite. Insight and Personalization shows how to set up tracking clients and the profile management user interface with the Episerver Personalization suite.
- Reach – enabling use of hashed IDs when using Episerver Campaign.
Contact Episerver to provide the mapping of email addresses to pseudonymized IDs, and Episerver will configure this in the Personalization Portal.
- Perform – Contact Episerver to configure these features for your websites:
- Allow updated orders to affect personalization.
- Multi-site support for recommendations.
- Advance – availability in East/West US, EMEA, APAC regions.
Contact Episerver to configure availability in Episerver DXC Service regions.