Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Debug with ASP.NET development server

Vote:

In my evaluation of EPiServer, I have been looking at how to debug my solution with the ASP.NET development server instead of Attaching to a process. The reason for this is that I do not have admin rights to my PC, therefore only way is with dev server.

In the install of EPiServer, it creates an IIS site, to a specific port, however if I try and debug from Visual Studio, it creates a localhost:xxxx port itself, then fires an error of "Failed to access IIS metabase." Can a site be debugged this way?

Thanks in advance,

Mick

Feb 17, 2011 2:49
Vote:

You should absolutely be able to debug using the developer server (however, I tend to avoid this since it requires duplicating many settings in web.config since it's not IIS 7 compatible, the default EPiServer setup is however already duplicated to be compatible with both).

Which version of Windows are you using?

Feb 17, 2011 9:00
Vote:

Windows version is XP. Unfortunately we are locked down, and don't have administrator access. I guess my question is more-so related to setting up a development environment, whereby another person can checkout the website source, and not have to touch IIS, they can just hit F5 and start running/debugging the app. This is how we do all our local development until we get to staging.

Feb 18, 2011 0:06
Vote:

A development setup like that is probably very common, but I have never tried it with a limited user account. Obviously it could have to do with access rights, but I don't know what. Do you have other asp.net applications that are working this way on the same computer? The error message indicates you are missing some permission for IIS which could perhaps be solved with the aspnet_regiis utility (-ga switch to grant access to the metabase or -i switch to reinstall).

Feb 18, 2011 6:58
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.