Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Full Text Search experience (how's it set up here on World?)

Vote:

Our users are complaining that the full text search service, as it is implemented by default in the Relate 2 templates, doesn't return good search results. I think users expect a more "google like" experience where you don't have to use query operators like * and " to instruct the search engine. The search engine should itself have a certain tolerance to difference in words etc.

I'm now implementing the following logic, but I'm very interested to hear if there is a better way to do this:

If query text contains control chars (*, +, -, ") go ahead and use FieldQuery (like default Relate)
Else: Split query on common word delimiters (space, ., !, ? etc) and create one FuzzyQuery for each, and also add wildcard (*) to end of each word.

I keep both sets of chars as well as settings for the use of wildcard and the similarity factor for the FuzzyQuery in a config file so that they can be tweaked.

So - is there a better way to do this? How is the search here on EPiServer World set up? It seems to work a little "better" than the default in the relate temples.

Dec 21, 2011 12:25
Vote:

I think they use SiteSeeker here on World.

Dec 21, 2011 13:52
Vote:

Oh... That would explain why I think it works better than the default Relate search :)

Any other ideas than mine on how to tweak the FTS?

Dec 29, 2011 8:43
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.