Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Moving pages in tree (reorganising taxonomy)

Vote:

Can anyone advice on the best way to move pages within the episerver tree please?

Over time, our main tree has got to the point that it is no longer logical for the user so I want to move pages to other submenus.

I'm worried about the impact this has on URLs and breaking links.

Has anyone got a recommendation for dealing with this?  Do I need to add 301/302 redirects?

Would be very grateful for any advice on this matter. Thanks.

May 17, 2016 13:10
Vote:

Hello Andrew

Any internal links should be handled by Episerver as you move content around so should not create any 404s.

However if you do move content then then inbound exernal links will need to be redirected. You have some options for managing this:

1. A reactive way of managing things is to use the BVN 404 handler for this and set up redirects once the 404 has occured. 

2. A more proactive way is to use the Mogul SEO manager. Once installed it will automatically generate the 301's for you as the content is moved around on the site.

3. Another approach is to roll your own and hook into the MovedContent event that is fired when content is moved, store the old and new urls and set up the redirects from there. This requires coding effort/testing and replicates the functionality of the two options above.

I would personally recommed using option 1. or 2.

David

May 17, 2016 14:26
Vote:

David,

Thanks very much - that's helpful.  I will find out if we have the BVN404 / MogulSEO modules installed.

Andrew

May 17, 2016 15:20
Vote:

That's exactly why we built SEO manager :)

Install it...reorganize or rename as you wish and redirects will be automatically created (for child pages/language versions as well). Editor doesnt need to do anything.

Trust me. You don't want to build it yourself...

May 17, 2016 16:05
Vote:

Thanks - looks an ideal solution!

May 17, 2016 16:09
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.