Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Community 4 and PageEntity

Vote:

One thing I miss in EPiServer Community 3 is the non existing relation with EPiServer CMS pagetypes. That is to be able to treat a CMS-page as a Community object e.g. add comments to a CMS page.
To solve this we've implemented Per Hemmingsonthe clever PageEntity module (http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Per-Hemmingson/Dates/2009/6/Do-you-want-Community-features-on-your-CMS-pages-PageEntity-to-the-rescue/).
Now I'm just curios if the this is solved in Community 4 without the need for PageEntity? If not, are there any plans on implementing this type of connection in future Community releases? If not, how come?
Best regards Stefan

One thing I miss about EPiServer Community 3 is the non existing relation with EPiServer CMS pagetypes. That is to be able to treat a CMS-page as a Community object e.g. add comments to a CMS page.

To solve this we've implemented Per Hemmingsonthe clever PageEntity module (http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Per-Hemmingson/Dates/2009/6/Do-you-want-Community-features-on-your-CMS-pages-PageEntity-to-the-rescue/).

Now I'm just curios if the this is solved in Community 4 without the need for PageEntity? If not, are there any plans on implementing this type of connection in future Community releases? If not, how come?

Best regards Stefan

Jul 21, 2010 10:59
Vote:

I'm also interested in an answer to this question.

Sep 08, 2010 12:57
Vote:

Sep 08, 2010 12:58
Vote:

You still need the PageEntity in current releases, and yes - there are absolutely plans.

Sep 08, 2010 15:44
Vote:

Is there any updated version of PageEntity for Community 4? Some functionality are changed in the community/common core.

E.g the Site, ISite is removed.

Sep 08, 2010 15:46
Vote:

We're actually working on upgrading world to use community 4 at the moment. As we're using PageEntity on this site we're also updating the PageEntity code. When that work is done and it's working as it did in community 3 we'll share what we've come up with.

Edited, Sep 08, 2010 16:16
Vote:

I have converted it to Community 4 and it works so far. But I have problems with PageEntityProvider that has to implement some more methods now, because the interface IEntityProvider is extended.

Sep 10, 2010 8:18
Vote:

How are you guys doing with the Community 4 version of PageEntity? Would you mind sharing the code that you have come up with?

Sep 17, 2010 12:42
Vote:

Sep 17, 2010 12:43
Vote:

We're not done with porting PageEntity to community 4 yet. Lot's of other stuff keep interfering.

But the general idea is to remove all useage of ISite and SiteHandler since it not really used. Remove it from the constructors and method calls. Remove it from the stored procedures and you can also remove the site column in the database table (tblPageEntity?). Then you'll also need to change the general Community 4 changes (from static method to the new singleton object and so on).

Example: 

//From:
CacheHandler.RemoveCachedObject("PageEntity", TPR_LIST_CACHE_KEY)
//To:
CacheHandler.Instance.RemoveCachedObject("PageEntity", TPR_LIST_CACHE_KEY);

Erik Engstrand also mentions above that IEntityProvider have additional methods that needs to be implemented. 

This is how I implemented AddEntityInstance for example. The other new methods are similar:

public IEntity AddEntityInstance(IEntity entity)
{
	if (!(entity is PageEntity))
	{
		throw new EPiServer.Common.Exceptions.NonCommittedEntityException(entity);
	}
	return PageEntityHandler.AddPageEntity((PageEntity)entity);
}
Hope that helps until we get the opportunity to share the entire code.    
Sep 17, 2010 13:23
Vote:

If someone else is looking for a Community 4 version of PageEntity, Nicklas solution can be found here: http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Nicklas-Israelsson/Dates/2010/11/PageEntity-for-Community-40/

Feb 08, 2011 12:38
Vote:

Thanks for linking to the blog post Stefan! I forgot about this thread otherwise I would have done the same.

Feb 08, 2011 15:49
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.