Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Multi Ligual site causing an exception when looking at previous versions of pages

Vote:

We have a multi lingual site. The project manager is VERY SEO conscious and requested that we make sure that if you entered the site with a URL without a language defined it would redirect to the page for your default language,
i.e. www.test.com/page1 would redirect to www.test.com/en/page1.

To do this I added the following code into the PreInit event handler of template page:
if (this.CurrentPage != null)
{
string language = this.CurrentPage.LanguageID;
string pageLinkRUL = this.CurrentPage.LinkURL;
if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(
ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["DispableArabic"]))
{
if (ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["DispableArabic"].ToLower() == "true"
&& language == "ar")
{
language = "en";
pageLinkRUL = pageLinkRUL.Replace("=ar", "=en");
}
}
if (!Request.RawUrl.StartsWith("/" + language))
{
Response.Clear();
Response.StatusCode = 301;
Response.Status = "301 Moved Permanently";
Response.AddHeader("Location", pageLinkRUL);
Response.End();
}
}

This code works fine except when you are looking at previous versions of page. If you go into the Version List tab and select a previous version of the page and then press the View tab you get the following exception:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

EPiServer.Web.PageExtensions.ContextMenu.SetupOnPageEdit() +88
EPiServer.Web.PageExtensions.ContextMenu.RegisterMenuScripts(Object sender, EventArgs e) +119
System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Page.OnInit(EventArgs e) +9
EPiServer.PageBase.OnInit(EventArgs e) +316
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +321
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +834

When I first did some investigation I noticed that the CurrentPage property of the page was not being populated, so I had to add some code in various places to make sure it would not throw exceptions.

I suspect that the above exception is due to the same issue, however I'm not sure how to get around it? Am I doing the right thing in the redirection code, or should I do it in a different way and that would not cause this issue?

Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Jim

Jul 03, 2008 17:31
Vote:

Hello Jim,

Sound like somthing this faq might take care of.

Jul 03, 2008 17:39
Vote:

Thanks for the response Petter, but unfortunately it did not work.

I forgot to say that we are using version 5.1.422.122 (which is SP1 I think).

Any other ideas would be great....

Jim.
Jul 04, 2008 16:59
Vote:

I would not do this on the page but rewrite the url before it reaches the page.

A (untested) suggestion is to add your own event handler to Global.UrlRewriteProvider.ConvertedToInternal and look at e.Url. If you want to change language you can either issue a response redirect with abort or modify the query paramter epslanguage to show another language.

If the parameter idkeep is present do not do anything because this is a preview request for edit mode.

/Fredrik

Jul 07, 2008 14:14
Vote:

Thanks for the ideas Fredrik,

I had a look at this, but I don't have access to the information I need at the point when the ConvertedToInternal event fires. The Response object is not available, and therefore I cannot tell what language the user expects to see.

I did modify my previous code from

if (this.CurrentPage != null)

to

if (Request.RawUrl.ToLower().IndexOf("idkeep=true") == -1)

to stop it redirecting when in preview mode. The trouble is that this didn't fix the issue. I have now removed the redirect code and the issue still occours. I've used Reflector and it looks like it's because the CurrentPage value is null. I assume this is usually the case, so am not sure why it's causing this problem.

Any ideas on the cause?

Jim. 

Jul 14, 2008 15:49
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.