Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Is "Show page tree" language always the system language?

Vote:

Hi. I are developing a multilanguage site for a customer on EPiServer CMS 5.1 SP1 where the system language is English. Many users are Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish. The EPiServer users that have been created for these users have the Personal Language set to their native language. But when the users log inn to edit mode, the "Show page tree" language is always English. Is there any way to get the "Show page tree" language to be the language of the logged inn user? BR, Tore Gjerdrum
Mar 16, 2008 19:53
Vote:

Just checked my local SP1 installation, and "Show page tree" is translated to "Vis sidetre" if I'm logged in as a Norwegian user. Is your installation an SP1 install or a site upgraded to SP1? The label you refer to is located in the language.xml files. Could you check your languageNO.xml, look at line 3185 (or search for languageselection).
Mar 17, 2008 8:23
Vote:

Hi Mari. Sorry for beeing so unclear on what what I meant. I did not mean the label over the dropdown box, but the selected language in the dropdown box. The label over the dropdown box is translated to the users language, but I want the the selected language in the page tree dropdown to be the language of the logged inn user, not the system language. Is this possible? Br, Tore
Mar 17, 2008 9:42
Vote:

Hi again. I found out that the language in the dropdown menu is set by using this parameter: EPiServer.Globalization.ContentLanguage.PreferredCulture.Name. To aviod overriding this i began to look at the login procedure in EPiServer to se if I could set the ContentLangauge.PreferredCulture to the logged inn users selected language. If the user has selected another language than the system language as his personal language, the EPiServerProfile.Current.Language has a value indicating what language is chosen. In the LoginControl there is an event called LoggedIn that accours when the user has logged inn. I hooked on to this event and tried to set the ContentLanguage.PreferredCulture to the culture that the logged inn user had selected as his personal language. But the EPiServerProfile.Current was empty in LoggedIn event. The HttpContext.Current.User is also empty when this event occurs. Should not theese objects be filled with the logged in user? Does anyone have a clue what I can do to get this to work or if can set the ContentLanguage.PreferredCulture another way so that the language dropdown will display the page tree in the users personal language? protected static void LoginControl_LoggedIn(object sender, EventArgs e) { EPiServerProfile profile = EPiServerProfile.Current; if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(profile.Language)) { CultureInfo newCulture = new CultureInfo(profile.Language); ContentLanguage.PreferredCulture = newCulture; } }
Mar 19, 2008 9:02
Vote:

Hi!

A solution for this has been discussed in the following thread:

http://world.episerver.com/Forum/Pages/thread.aspx?id=19801

Regards
Linus Ekström
EPiServer Development Team

May 14, 2008 10:02
Vote:

I have tested this some more and come to the conclusion that the approach or a browser detectiong works, but this requires that the user has the "right" language set up for their browser. I have forwarded a request to the EPiServer product management to add a preffered content language setting for the profile to be able to handle this the same way as the ui language settings that exists today.

Regards
Linus Ekström
EPiServer Development Team

May 14, 2008 14:01
Vote:

Hi Linus.

That would be great.  The browser detection is a work around for now, but the best thing would be to display the page tree with the content language for the logged in user. Could you let me know when you get an answer from the EPiServer product management?

BR,

Tore 

May 14, 2008 14:59
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.