Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How does the search function work

Vote:

I have an EPiServer site where the search page give strange results. E.g. if I search with a criteria that I know is the name of a page. I never get that page in the result.

Where can I read about how the search mechanism in EPiServer CMS 5 works? Cant find any information.

/Hans

Oct 01, 2008 10:29
Vote:

One of those gotchas is that pages are indexed in a lazy fasion so it may take up to one minute before you can search on anything new you publish.

Oct 01, 2008 12:01
Vote:

There can be several reasons besides the lazy indexing.

The page can be invisible in menu's (by default those pages are not shown in search results), the current user may not have accesss to see that page, the page isn't published, and so on.

Oct 01, 2008 13:36
Vote:

Thanks 

The page is visible in the menu. And everyone has read access. The thing was that I was to lazy to look down in the result. 

Now I can see it in the searchresult. But still. The pagename is "Om oss" and I search with "Om oss" and the page is shown as the 67'th result. I thought that the pagename was one of the first properties to search on wich would mean I high rank. But that seem not to be the case.

Is there anywhere I can read about how the search mechanism works? I want to know how I can affect the search result. How the search mechanism ranks the result.

/Hans

Oct 01, 2008 15:24
Vote:

Thanks!

So do you know if there is any way to control the ranking?

/Hans

Oct 01, 2008 15:41
Vote:

I mean, making properties on the page making a higher or less rank.

/Hans

Oct 01, 2008 15:43
Vote:

Check out this blogpost by Allan Thraen. It might help you get what you want.

http://labs.episerver.com/en/Blogs/Allan/Dates/112230/8/Pimp-up-your-search-II/

Allan also has other search related posts on his blog that's very informative:

http://labs.episerver.com/en/Blogs/Allan/

Oct 02, 2008 8:47
Vote:

Thanks a lot Nicklas!

That helped

/Hans

Oct 02, 2008 15:42
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.