Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Changing datasources from SQL Express to SQL 2005 Guidence

Vote:

Changing datasources from SQL Express to SQL 2005 ====================================================== To prove that this works you should be able to login and then have the right click admin/edit options Steps: ======== First we need an EpiServer 5 database in SQL 2005 You can attach the .mdf SQL Express database to SQL 2005. But in doing that we do not have the users setup to connect to that database. The way I got it to work was use the EpiServer CMS Manager and create a new web site and database. Once the previous step is successfully done, go into the root of the created site and copy the database connection string from the connectionstrings.config and paste it into your solution at the same point. We now need to create a database user In Visual Studio at the top of the Solution Explorer window there is an option for ASP.NET Configuration. Within ASP.NET Configuration you have the options to create roles and users. For some reason I could not get the ASP.NET Configuration to work. So to work around this I used the website created in EpiServer CMS Manager to create a role called WebAdmin and created a user called EpiAdmin and added that user to the WebAdmin role. Now the user has been created in the database you should be able to login, but you will may find once you have logged in you do not have the right click admin/edit options that is because your WebAdmin role has not been given Access Rights in EpiServer. To get around this go to Web.Config and briefly get rid of the authentication permissions in the following two sections (Remember to put them back afterwards): Then browse to http://localhost/website/ui/admin/default.aspx Add group WebAdmin and give full permissions. Now go back to web.config and change permissions back that you previously altered.
Nov 11, 2007 20:37
Vote:

Hi Sam! I do not know why you do not get the ASP.NET Configuration Tool to work. A tip: If you add a group/role named "Administrator" instead of WebAdmin, a user belonging to that role will have all priveledges as default. /Fredrik
Nov 14, 2007 13:37
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.