Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How long will EPiServer CMS 6R2 be maintained and supported

Vote:

Hi,

I'm wondering for how long EPiServer CMS 6 R2 will be maintained and supported by EPiServer. There are rarely bugfixes/patches coming out, however there was one in february 2014 which fixed a few IE10+ browser issues.

Is EPiServer CMS 6 R2 supported on .NET 4.5?

Is EPiServer CMS 6 R2 supported on Windows server 2012 R2 (IIS 8+)?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering for how long I can keep the CMS 6 R2 running before I'm forced to take the cost and reimplement my application with a newer EPiServer CMS version due to for example issues related to security, performance, browser compatitbility and/or high maintenance costs. 

Aug 25, 2014 10:53
Vote:

Hi, Hovard,

I don't think EPiServer normally supports old versions in a way to add new functionality to it. Maintainance will probably be kept for quite some years, but officially supporting a new version of Windows Server will probably not be a part of it. (Normally, probably EPiServer would work on the new version of WS, however, since it's officially not supported, one can't expect the support to react in case of any issues, so I would not recommend this).

I believe you should consider an upgrade to 7, you don't need to reimplement a lot, there is loads of documentation on how to upgrade and probably all of the issues that might be raised during an upgrade are well documented in the community. Only if you have some very specific custom properties, you might need to rewrite them. That way, you move on, get the latest sofware and you can slowly work on improving ie. editorial experience by using blocks etc. This will ofc take some time, but will give you a neater experience development-wise and editorially.

Hope this helps.

BR,

Marija

Aug 25, 2014 12:08
Vote:

Hi

Marija summarizes it well. There are no plans to drop developer support for CMS 6R2 for the time being, we however do not plan to release updates to support newer versions for Windows Server, SQL Server, IIS, browsers etc. The release to support IE10 and IE11 was an exeption since the automatic updates to IE gave lots of complications for our partners and end-customers.

You can usually get the CMS to run on newer OS/SQL versions etc but important to remember that it's not officially supported since it hasnt been through our normal tests.

Best regards
Per
EPiServer Developer Support

Aug 25, 2014 19:25
Vote:

Hi,

I know this post is old, but are there any changes or exceptions to the post above since it was last updated?

Would you still continue to support CMS6R2 on new OS, SQL and browser versions?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 10, 2016 15:42
Vote:

Hi, Alia,

Nothing has changed, new versions get appropriate support for new versions of OS/SQL/browser very quickly. However, Episerver 6 R2 is based on the following requirements:

http://world.episerver.com/documentation/Items/System-Requirements/EPiServer-CMS/Version-6/System-Requirements---EPiServer-CMS-6-R2/

(With an exception for IE newer versions, they did get the support at some point).

What Per wrote is still valid.

BR,

Marija

Nov 11, 2016 10:38
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.