Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Can EPiServer use the short URL for a page in all situations?

Vote:

Is it possible to get CMS 6 to use the short URL for a page everywhere that page is linked?  My client has some legacy SEO they're bringing over, and they want Drupal-esque funtionality -- they want to set the short URL for a page and for that become the "URL of record" which is used in all navigation to that page.

Possible?  I know I could roll my own nav controls, but I was wondering if I could override something in the URL rewriter instead to make this behavior more core.

May 07, 2012 18:16
Vote:

So, I think I may have done this.  It seems to work anyway.  I'd be interested in comments -- did I do this right?

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Collections.Specialized;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using EPiServer.Configuration;
using EPiServer.Globalization;
using EPiServer.Core;

namespace EPiServer
{
    public class ShortUrlRewriteProvider : EPiServer.Web.FriendlyUrlRewriteProvider
    {
        protected override bool ConvertToExternalInternal(UrlBuilder url, object internalObject, System.Text.Encoding toEncoding)
        {
            var pageRef = internalObject as PageReference;

if (pageRef == null || pageRef == PageReference.EmptyReference)
            {
                return base.ConvertToInternalInternal(url, ref internalObject);
            }

// Get the page
            var pageData = DataFactory.Instance.GetPage(pageRef);

// Does this page have a simple address?
            if (pageData.Property["PageExternalURL"] != null && pageData.Property["PageExternalURL"].Value != null)
            {
                // "Reset" the path to be nothing but the raw site URL (so, essentially just the protocol and the domain)
                url.Uri = Settings.Instance.SiteUrl;

// Now set the path to be just the simple URL
                url.Path = String.Concat("/", pageData.Property["PageExternalURL"].Value.ToString());

return true;
            }

// No simple address, just handle normally
            return base.ConvertToExternalInternal(url, internalObject, toEncoding);
        }

}
}

May 07, 2012 20:32
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.