Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Composer 4.1 installation

Vote:

Hi

I am trying to install Composer 4.1 on an CMS 6 R2 site. The site is more or less empty (contains only one page). When installing Composer I got the following exception

Copied Install Composer.metadata
Copied Upgrade Composer.metadata
An error has occured and the transaction will be rolled back
Rolledback

An unhandled error has occured:
Cannot resolve dependencies for the following module(s)
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule
When executing

At C:\Program Files\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Install\Modules\Composer 4.1\Instal
l Composer.ps1:138 char:20
+ Add-EPiServerData <<<< $episerverDataFile $selectedWebApplication.Physical
Path $selectedWebApplication.ApplicationName -updateStartPageAttribute

False
=
Get-EPiIsBulkInstalling

At C:\Program Files\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Install\Modules\Composer 4.1\Install Composer.ps1:138 char:20
+ Add-EPiServerData <<<< $episerverDataFile $selectedWebApplication.PhysicalPath $selectedWebApplication.ApplicationName -updateStartPageAttribute
System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot resolve dependencies for the following module(s)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.CreateDependencySortedModules(IEnumerable`1 modules)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.Initialize(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.Initialize(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.FrameworkInitialization(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Common.EPiServerCMSWrapper.InitalizeEPiServer(String webConfigPath)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Common.EPiServerCMSWrapper.Initialize(String destinationPath, String virtualDirectory)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Common.EPiServerCMSWrapper.Initialize(String destinationPath, String virtualDirectory)
at EPiServer.Install.Common.AppDomains.RunInAppDomainInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
at EPiServer.Install.InstallationManager.Install(Installer installer)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Modules.ModulesInstallationManager.ImportData(InstallationManager installationManager, String destinationDirectory, String virtualDirectory, String importSource, DatabaseDestination destination, Boolean updateStartPageAttribute, TimeSpan transactionTimeout)
at EPiServer.Install.CMS.Modules.CmdLets.AddEPiServerData.ProcessRecord()
at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoProcessRecord()
at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()

Apr 12, 2011 10:57
Vote:

Hi Lars

It seems that the installation could not resolve the correct version of CMS. Is your CMS R2 site a new installation or an upggrading? Can you verify the version of CMS assembly in your bin folder and the assembly binding in the web.config is correct version (6.1.379.0).

Regards
Hieu Doan

Apr 12, 2011 13:52
Vote:

Hi Hieu

It is a new installastion and all the EPiServer assemblies is of version 6.1.379.0, except some of them has version 6.2.267.1 (EpiServer.Framework, EPiServer.Data, EPiServer.Licensing, EPiServer.Events,EPiServer.SHell, EPiServer.ApplicationModules, EPiServer.Data.Cache and EPIServer.Shell.UI).

And the bindings in web.config is in accordance with this version numbers.

Lars

Apr 12, 2011 16:53
Vote:

Hi Lars

I guess that you first installed the CMS 6 R2, then you did something (build a new project and created a page type, adding a page) and then installed Cmposer R2. Could you try to run a new installation of CMS r2 again from deployment center, and then select Composer 4 R2 in the optional modules and see if you still get the same issue.

Apr 13, 2011 13:48
Vote:

Hi

You are right. 

I also tried installing a new site with no content and Composer. Then the installation was successfull, but I did not get any [ExtensionDataContainer] in the page structure.

When I tried reinstalling Composer on the same site I got the same error as mention earlier. 

Lars

Apr 13, 2011 14:51
Vote:

Hi Lars,

I get it. We'll try to reproduce the issue and get back to you if we found out anything.

Regards
Hieu Doan

Apr 13, 2011 15:00
Vote:

I'm having the exact same problem described in Lars exception. The only working way to install Composer without errors, was to install it together with the Alloy example site (but I did not get any [ExtensionDataContainer] in the page structure either. It is only visible in "Set Access Rights" in the "Admin Mode").

Edited, Apr 13, 2011 15:23
Vote:

Hi,

• By default, after installing Composer 4 R2, the system creates the a node with name "Extension Data Container" but hide from the tree. If you open the web.config, you'll find the configuration section "episerverModules/composer" and an attribute "hideDataContainer" with value is set to True. By chaning this attribute to False you'll able to see the Extension Data Container in the tree. Please take a look at  the documentation Configuration Settings  for EPiServer Composer 4 R2 under the Documenation section.
  • It's correct, the Composer Sample Package requires the Alloy template installed. Also this is described in the Installation Instructions for Composer
  • When reinstalling the Composer , please unselect the "Import data package" option, otherwise you'll get an error due to the installation try to import the Composer system page types and page data again.

Regards
Hieu Doan

Apr 13, 2011 16:37
Vote:

Hi guys

Any news on a fix for this?  I need to upgrade an R2 site to Composer but getting the same error as Lars.

Cheers, Paul

Apr 26, 2011 12:29
Vote:

Hi Paul

I,m also interested in this matter :) What are your prerequisites? (From what version to where, episerver, modules and plugins etc...)

Regards

Joakim

Apr 29, 2011 10:05
Vote:

Hi Joakim

I was actually upgrading a relatively simple EPiserver 6 R2 solution to Composer.  The solution had been previousely upgraded from EPiServer 6 but had no other modules or plugins of note except perhaps Page Type Builder but there are ways to get the two technologies working together.

In the end the only way I could upgrade was to run the procedure manually.  I created a brand new R2 site and was able to upgrade that site to include Composer. 

I then copied the required files from the new installation into my existing solution, updated my web.config etc and then imported my content from the old DB into the new DB.  All worked fine with a few tweaks.  This approach is not ideal but I haven't encountered any issues so far and have been able to add Composer modules to upgraded page types etc.

Regards, Paul

May 03, 2011 13:26
Vote:

Hi all

Got a new error message today, when I tried to install Composer on our testserver. Had installed EPiServer R2, moved our application to the site (including database with Composer Content).

THe message was

Copied Dropit.Extension_SV.xml
Copied newtext_Dropit.Extension.xml
Copied newtext_Dropit.Extension_SENT.xml
Copied Install Composer.metadata
Copied Upgrade Composer.metadata

An unhandled error has occured:
You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
When executing

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Install\Modules\Composer 4.1\
Install Composer.ps1:134 char:80
+ $orgPageStartId = $selectedWebApplication.SiteSettingsConfigNode.GetAttribu
te <<<< ("pageStartId")

False
=
Get-EPiIsBulkInstalling
An error has occured and the transaction will be rolled back
Rolledback

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.1.379.0\Install\Modules\Composer 4.1\Install Composer.ps1:134 char:80
+ $orgPageStartId = $selectedWebApplication.SiteSettingsConfigNode.GetAttribute <<<< ("pageStartId")
System.Management.Automation.ParentContainsErrorRecordException: You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

Lars

May 05, 2011 10:47
Vote:

Hi Lars

It seems that SiteSettingsConfigNode is null in your case. Did you get the site up and run before installing Composer?

Regards
Hieu Doan.

May 05, 2011 10:59
Vote:

Hi

The site is up and running and this is the sitesettings

<sites>
<site siteId="cw_demo" description="Canal Digital KabelTv - Reskinned Demo">
<siteSettings enableScheduler="true" errorMailHandler="~/util/SendErrorReport.aspx" globalErrorHandling="RemoteOnly" 
globalErrorMail="" httpCacheExpiration="0:0:0" httpCacheability="Public" httpCacheVaryByCustom="path" 
httpCacheVaryByParams="id,epslanguage" indexingDelayAfterPublish="0:0:20" 
indexingTextRegExp="[\p{N}\p{L}]{1}[\p{N}\p{L}-\._]*[\p{N}\p{L}]{1}" logServiceUrl="soap.tcp://localhost/TimeSpanAnalyzerView" 
mirroringFileWriteRetryDelay="0:0:5" mirroringHtmlTextEncoding="" mirroringRetries="5" 
mirroringRetryDelay="0:0:1" pageCacheSlidingExpiration="12:0:0" pageFolderVirtualPathProvider="SitePageFiles" 
pageOfficeStartId="0" pageRootId="1" pageStartId="13" pageUseBrowserLanguagePreferences="false" 
pageValidateTemplate="false" pageWastebasketId="2" remoteCacheListenerShortNames="" 
remotePageCacheSlidingExpiration="2:0:0" remoteWebServiceCulture="0" sgmlParserDecodeCharEntities="false" 
stringCompressionThreshold="0" stringDelayedLoadThreshold="0" 
subscriptionHandler="EPiServer.Personalization.SubscriptionMail,EPiServer" uiDefaultPanelTab="0" uiEditorColors="" 
uiEditorCssPaths="~/util/styles/Editor.css" uiEditorHeight="250" uiEditorValueOptions="0" uiEditorWidth="500" 
uiImageTransparencyReplacement="White" uiKeepUserLoggedOn="true" uiMaxVersions="0" 
uiOptimizeTreeForSpeed="false" uiSafeHtmlTags="b,i,u,br,em,strong,p,a,img,ol,ul,li" 
uiShowGlobalizationUserInterface="false" uiTheme="" uiVersionMerging="true" urlRewriteExtension="" 
urlRebaseKind="ToRootRelative" operationCompatibility="None" 
siteDisplayName="Canal Digital KabelTv - Reskinned Demo" siteUrl="http://reskinned.canaldigital.no/" 
uiUrl="~/UI/CMS/" utilUrl="~/util/" enableXmlRpcHeader="true" />
</site>
</sites>

Lars

May 05, 2011 11:11
Vote:

Have you edited the episerverframework.config?

Make sure it says:

<scanAssembly forceBinFolderScan="true" />    

Also, if you have upgraded your projec to .NET 4.0, add a startup tag to the EPiServerInstall.exe.config file:

<startup>
  <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
</startup>

/Steve

May 24, 2011 13:01
Ted
Vote:

Lars, were you ever able to get this fixed? I'm experiencing the exact same problem, installer complaining about not being able to resolve dependencies for EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.

The site is running fine with CMS 6 R2 and CMO 2 R2 on ASP.NET 4.0.

Seems it fails when it tries to spin up the site to import data from the extension.episerverdata file?

Update: When I temporarily removed the Page Type Builder assemblies from the project I was able to install Composer. I could then re-add Page Type Builder - and everything has worked just fine since.

Edited, Aug 26, 2011 15:14
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.