Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Vote:

Hi.

After reinstaling my developer machine and setting up our development enviroment again, I am getting this error when I try to view a page on the site. (both acutoal pages and the admin/edit interface)

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.IOException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Our setup consists of 4 workstations each with local ISS running the site

The DB and VPP folder are hosted on a internal server in our office, so all 4 workstaions uses the same DB and folder for filemanager etc.

I'm guesing its some kind of permission setup I'm missing somewhere, but cant really figure out where or what. The VPP folder have "full access" to "everybody", so permission "should'nt" be the issues on that one.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this and how to fix it?

Feb 22, 2011 13:03
Vote:

Is there a stack trace in the error message? It would perhaps help to see a bit more where the error is encountered.

Feb 22, 2011 13:30
Vote:

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\17559b50\86c8d3b\App_global.asax.cm_keyvx.0.cs    Line: 0

Stack Trace:

[IOException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +10546213
System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity) +1512
EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathUnifiedProvider.GetAndValidatePhysicalPathBase(String physicalPath) +253
EPiServer.Web.Hosting.Versioning.VersioningFileSystem.Init(NameValueCollection config) +135
EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathVersioningProvider..ctor(String name, NameValueCollection configParameters) +154

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType) +0
System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +856
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +10362891
EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathHandler.CreateVirtualPathProviderInstance(ProviderSettings providerSettings) +363
EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathHandler.InitializeProviders(ProviderSettingsCollection providers, Boolean captureCustomExceptions) +1718
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.InitializeVirtualPathProviders(VirtualPathElement vpElement) +127
EPiServer.Web.InitializeEngine.Initialize() +663
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.Initialize(EPiServerSection config, Settings settings, ConnectionStringSettingsCollection connectionStringSettings) +2208
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.<StaticInitialization>b__4() +41
EPiServer.Web.InitializeEngine.Initialize() +663
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.StaticInitialization() +1904
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule.Initialize(InitializationEngine context) +49
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.InitializeModules() +853
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.Initialize(HostType hostType) +115
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.StaticInitialization(HostType hostType) +227
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.FrameworkInitialization(HostType hostType) +53
EPiServer.Global..ctor() +76
ASP.global_asax..ctor() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\17559b50\86c8d3b\App_global.asax.cm_keyvx.0.cs:0

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache) +146
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache) +298
System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +79
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +10362891
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +258
System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +382

[HttpException (0x80004005): Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +11305670
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +4342340

Feb 22, 2011 13:33
Vote:

Well, it's apparently one of the VPP:s. Doesn't look like the UI/Util ones because it uses the versioning provider. Were you perhaps running your IIS application pool using a domain user before, but as a local user now?

Feb 22, 2011 13:35
Vote:

Yeah, that was my assumption as well.

I dont remember changing the user of the app pool on my previous install, but its running as its default user on the new one.  One of the 3 other workstations that are used to work on  the site, have changed their app pool user (they recently reinstalled as well), and none of them had this issue after reinstalling.

The intire EPiServer folder on the server, is shared with "full control" to "everybody" in the security settings for the shared folder.

I'm not saying this is not the cause of the issue, I'm just having trouple figuring out where and how it can be this.

Feb 22, 2011 13:58
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.