Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Upgrade Database without site fails

Vote:

I've tried to migrate data from CMS 5 R2 to CMS 6. But I run into trouble. Look below:

Error - Foreign key 'FK_tblXFormData_tblBigTableIdentity' references invalid table 'dbo.tblBigTableIdentity'.

This table does not exist. And what I can gather from the sql-scripts used it is not created either. If I upgrade a site AND database it succeeds.

Sep 16, 2010 11:58
Vote:

hi

same problem here

when migrate from cms 5 R2sp2 -> 6

Sep 19, 2010 11:45
Vote:

C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\Framework\6.0.318.113\Database\sql\EPiServer.Data.sql

the sql have the Tables we need

why is not installed with the migrate ?

Sep 19, 2010 12:51
Vote:

Hi

Are you using the migrate task from deployment center? That task is used to migrate data in an upgraded CMS 6 database, but it will not upgrade the database from 5 to 6. During an upgrade of the site from 5 to 6 we upgrade the database in the same way as always, using sql scripts. However, due to some changes in CMS 6, we also need to run a migration task to migrate some data, for example xforms data.

The migration task runs automatically when the site is upgraded. However, it's available from the deployment center in case you need to rerun the migration.

Regards

Per Gunsarfs
EPiServer Development Team

Sep 20, 2010 10:17
Vote:

hi

Ok so migrate is after the site upgrade.

in our environmentwe can't upgrade the site without upgrading the dll files of our project but we can't upgrade the DB from our machine just from the stagging servers ( securtiy issue that the epi installtion throws ).

so we need to do these steps

1. upgrade all the dll to the 6 version

2. copy the site to the staging

3.upgrade the site + db

4. hope for the best

but we want to update just the DB without the site ( in our production environment)

and then load the files with the changes

can it be done

Sep 20, 2010 12:18
Vote:

If you want to upgrade the database by itself I can see two ways.

1. Install a new temp site and attach the database you want to upgrade to that site. Then upgrade that site, and the database will be upgraded as well.

2. Take the sql scripts from the deployment center and run the from a sql manager. The upgrade scripts can be found in the following folder "Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\Upgrade\Database\sql".

You may want to contact our support department for more detailed help, they should have more experiance with these kind of scenarios.

And obviously, take a backup of the database before doing any manual upgrades, just in case...

Regards

Per Gunsarfs
EPiServer Development Team

Sep 20, 2010 13:28
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.