Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Not displaying the language in the url for default language in a Multi lingual website.

Vote:

Hi,

We have developed a site in en,en-gb and fr languages. We have set en-gb as default language.

Below are the diaplaying Urls in each language.

www.examplesite.com/en/sales

www.examplesite.com/fr/sales

www.examplesite.com/sales  ---> This is the default language (en-gb).

I want to display default language url as www.examplesite.com/en-gb/sales/.

Can you please advice how to achieve the above functionality. We are using Episerver 6.0

Thanks in advance.

Sharath

Aug 12, 2010 13:55
Vote:

I am having the same problem. We upgraded our site from CMS 5 R2 > 6 > 6 R2. After upgrading, our master (default) languages is "en". All the other languages will display in the url, but the default language will not have "en" in the url. This causes big problems for us. Is there a solution to this? It never worked this way in CMS 5. I am assuming it may be a bug?
Aug 24, 2011 21:55
Vote:

Yes, I think we changed this behavior going from 5 R2 Sp2 to 6 R1. You could solve it by doing a redirect in IIS. So if you go to www.site.com you get to redirected to www.site.com/en/ or what ever language you have as default.

Also, check your EPiServerFramework.config and see if you have a set a language for a address/url or not. If you have, then it will strip away the language code from the urls. 

Edited, Aug 24, 2011 22:49
Vote:

It was set in my EPiServerFramework.congif to have <add name="*" language="en" />, so I removed the language="en" part and it is now <add name="*" />  but will this cause any problems anywhere else for users coming from other countries? I tested it out and it seems to all be ok. Not sure if it's something that's not obvious that it could affect.

If not, it's all set. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2011 13:52
Vote:

I think you should read  http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Tech-Notes/EPiServer-CMS-6/EPiServer-CMS-6-R2/Globalization/to get a better sense of what is happening behind the scenes.

But short answer is no, shouldn't make a difference if you have set up English as the default language in web.config.

Aug 26, 2011 14:59
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.