Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

CMS 5 R1 SP3 to CMS 6 upgrade troubles.

Vote:

Hi!

I have upgraded my site to CMS 6 and the site seems to be working fine. But I have trouble getting the Edit/Admin -mode to work.

First error is when I go to "http://localhost/ui/" I get the CMS 5 login screen, how could this be?

After logging in there I come to the OnlineCenter, so it seems that it is only the login in screen that is CMS 5.

The next error is when I press CMS and the Edit or Admin I get the error that the page does not exists.

I've really tried to find a solution but I can't get it to work. Somwhere I read:

"Path to admin/edit mode changed because of Online Center:"

What should I change it to?

Currently I have these tags in episerver.config

<add name="EPiServerCMS" virtualPath="~/ui/CMS" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\application\UI\episerver\CMS" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />
      <add name="EPiServerShell" virtualPath="~/ui/Shell" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\EPiServer\Framework\6.0.318.113\Application\UI" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />

<add name="EPiServerCMS" virtualPath="~/ui/CMS" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\application\UI\episerver\CMS" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />

<add name="EPiServerShell" virtualPath="~/ui/Shell" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\EPiServer\Framework\6.0.318.113\Application\UI" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />

If  I change the first one to 

C:\Program Files\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\application\UI\CMS

I can enter edit mode but with some UI errors and then the CMS tab disappears from the OnlineCenter.

And I also tried this:

"Notice that all location and VPP paths for EPiServers User Interface are changed during upgrade. If you path to edit mode was /secret/edit before it will now be /secret/CMS/edit. There is no redirect so bookmarks or hard coded links in your application to edit mode may break"

I've trying to find a solution for a couple of days now.

/Andreas

Dec 13, 2010 10:37
Vote:

Do you also have a virtual path for app themes and utils, looking something like this?

<add name="App_Themes_Default" virtualPath="~/App_Themes/Default/" physicalPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\application\app_themes\default" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />

<add name="UtilFiles" virtualPath="~/Util/" physicalPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\application\util" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />

Dec 13, 2010 11:14
Vote:

No i did not have these paths.

Added them now with no difference.

Could the reason I am seeing the CMS login screen be linked to some files from the CMS 5 still present in the GAC. Could I remove all the episerver files från versions < 6 in the GAC? Or could they still be in use in CMS 6?

/Andreas

Dec 13, 2010 11:39
Vote:

Make sure that the paths in Magnus' code are corrected (they're different on 32 and 64 bit machines). After that check in episerver.config for the uiUrl.

Frederik

Dec 13, 2010 12:48
Vote:

Frederik is right, if your other paths are correct your util and appthemes should also point to Program Files (without "(x86)").

The reason you see a CMS5 login could be just that your browser has the stylesheet cached. In web.config you should have assembly redirects for all the EPiServer assemblies so they can't pick the "wrong" version even if it existsin GAC. If it loaded the wrong version you would also get an exception because the assemblies don't match the database version.

Dec 13, 2010 13:29
Vote:

Okey that helped! The missing icons in the edit-mode are now visible. Thank you alot! But some error still graphic errors, the icons (create new page,delete,cut,copy,paste,accesrights,edit dynamics properties) are squeezed together, some kind of css error?

And

The tab "CMS" that should be next to the "Start" tab on the OnlineCenter, its not visible anymore. Could I change this link somewhere? I persume that the tabs are generated based on some folder structure.

And finally I actually get the exception that you were refering to:

Parser Error Message: The type 'EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI.WorkflowEditPanelControl' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\EPiServer.UI\6.0.530.0__8fe83dea738b45b7\EPiServer.UI.dll' or from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI\5.1.422.267__8fe83dea738b45b7\EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI.dll'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name.
Parser Error Message: The type 'EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI.WorkflowEditPanelControl' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\EPiServer.UI\6.0.530.0__8fe83dea738b45b7\EPiServer.UI.dll' or from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI\5.1.422.267__8fe83dea738b45b7\EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI.dll'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name.

Any idea how I can fix that?

Dec 13, 2010 16:25
Vote:

Try to rebuild the solution with the new CMS 6 dlls if you haven't already. If your project has a reference to EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI.dll, remove it and see if it builds anyway (if you have a reference to the EPiServer.UI.dll). Also, see if there is any reference to the WorkflowFoundation.UI assembly in your web.config (like in the compilation or controls sections) and try to comment that out.

The CMS tab is not reflecting a folder structure but is rather generated in code based on attributes. How do your <location> tags look for the UI locations? Are they mismatching the new structure? It could be a permissions problem there.

Also, clear your browser cache. You could have old cms5 scripts and stylesheets cached.

Dec 13, 2010 17:21
Vote:

• All the design errors have been solved.
  • Removing the "EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI.dll" fixed the problem, but everytime I build the solution the EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.UI.dll is back. :) 
  • I've tried to look at my <location> tags, but can't see what I'm suppose to change. I have <location path="ui/CMS/admin"> and <location path="ui/CMS/edit">
the strange thing is that the CMS tab is visible when I have
<add name="EPiServerCMS" virtualPath="~/ui/CMS" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\application\UI\Episerver\CMS" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />
But when I click the links under the CMS tab the admin/edit pages does not exsist.

But when I have

<add name="EPiServerCMS" virtualPath="~/ui/CMS" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\EPiServer\CMS\6.0.530.0\application\UI\CMS" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider,EPiServer" />

,and use direct links, edit and admin works , but the CMS tab is not there anymore

Edited, Dec 14, 2010 10:47
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.