I'm using CMS 6 with Relate+ 2 and get an error when trying to create users (the stack trace is included below). This was working until last week and I think this is caused by most of the built in groups were deleted from the system. I have added back in the groups CommunityAdmins, CommunityMembers and CommunityModerators but still get the error. The project was created using the Relate+ templates project but I'm not using any of the supplied templates yet (other than standard CMS pages).
Does anyone know if the groups being missing could cause this error and if so which groups need to be added in (anything special when doing this?). If this is not a missing group issue does anyone know what might cause this and how to fix?
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object args)
at EPiServer.Common.Cache.CacheHandler.GetCachedObjectImplementation(Delegate cacheObjectGetter, Object getterArgs, Nullable`1 cacheTimeSpan, NotFoundInCacheAnnouncer notFoundInCacheAnnouncer, String key)
at EPiServer.Common.Cache.CacheHandler.GetCachedObject(Delegate cacheObjectGetter, Object getterArgs, String key) at EPiServer.Community.MyPage.MyPageHandler.GetMyPage(IUser user, Boolean createMyPage) at EPiServer.Templates.RelatePlus.CommunityModules.CommunitySecurityModule.MyPageHandler_Register(String sender, EPiServerCommonEventArgs e) in C:\EpiServer\Sites\Website\Templates\RelatePlus\CommunityModules\CommunitySecurityModule.cs:line 2801 at EPiServer.Common.EPiServerCommonEventHandler.Invoke(String sender, EPiServerCommonEventArgs e) at EPiServer.Community.MyPage.MyPageHandler.OnRegister(EPiServerCommonEventArgs args) at EPiServer.Community.MyPage.MyPageModule.DefaultSecurity_CreatedUser(ISecurityHandler sender, ICreateUserEventArgs args) at EPiServer.Common.Security.UserCreateEventHandler.Invoke(ISecurityHandler sender, ICreateUserEventArgs args) at EPiServer.Common.Security.Data.SecurityFactory.<>c__DisplayClass1.b__0() at EPiServer.Common.Data.DatabaseHandler.RunInTransaction(TransactionCode transactionCode) at EPiServer.Common.Security.Data.SecurityFactory.AddUser(User user) at EPiServer.Common.Security.SecurityHandler.AddUser(IUser user) at EPiServer.Common.Web.Authorization.MembershipProvider.CreateUser(String username, String password, String email, String passwordQuestion, String passwordAnswer, Boolean isApproved, Object providerUserKey, MembershipCreateStatus& status) at System.Web.Security.Membership.CreateUser(String username, String password, String email, String passwordQuestion, String passwordAnswer, Boolean isApproved, Object providerUserKey, MembershipCreateStatus& status) at System.Web.Security.Membership.CreateUser(String username, String password, String email, String passwordQuestion, String passwordAnswer, Boolean isApproved, MembershipCreateStatus& status) at EPiServer.UI.Edit.UserMembership.SaveMembershipUser() at EPiServer.UI.Edit.UserMembership.SaveButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
I can only say that IF it has something to do with the groups, adding them again will probably not help. Groups in the community are keyed on an Id, not on the name of the group. So the groups you add will be treated as completely separate even though they have the same name as the old groups.
It feels like there is a line missing from the error message, or did it come out blank like that? There's only a stack trace to where the problem occurred, no info about what it is (probably just a null reference or something else that isn't very helpful, but I thought I'd ask just in case).
The error posted is exactly that presented except that I changed the name of the website.
Some additional info - I ran SQL Profiler against this and found that there seems to be a lot of activity that should be adding the user record. If I execute this independently then the user is added correctly. I'm guessing that when using the CMS one of the following is happening:
I suspect that it's the first option and that all other statements run but do not add the required records as one of the early statements fails.
In case anyone is interested this was caused as the anonymous user had been deleted and the ID value for this group was in the web.config file. Recreating the group and changing the config value to the ID of the new group resolved the issue.