Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

CMS 6 and 5 running on same web server

Vote:

Hi!
Anyone knows if there is any problem running a CMS 6 pro. site parallel with a CMS 5 R2 pro. site on the same web server in a production environment. Experiences, problems, scheduled jobs etc.?

Thanks,
Örjan

Oct 14, 2010 10:58
Vote:

No experience other than in dev environments. No problem there. Between 4 and 5 there were problems with the scheduler if my memory serves me right, but I don't think that's a problem now.

Oct 14, 2010 11:19
Vote:

Never had any issues on my local machine but we've always separated out major versions on prod/staging environments. From CMS R2 EPiServer made an effort to ensure EPiServer works side by side so I'd be surprised if there is a problem now.

Oct 14, 2010 12:01
Vote:

You should be OK if you install a newer version than what is already installed on the server, e.g. installing 6 after 5.

The other way around will give you problems (e.g. installing 4 after 5). EPiServer major versions are not very backwards compatible - However I think this is fixed between 5 and 6 so that you can install these versions in any order.

Edited, Oct 14, 2010 12:45
Vote:

Thanks everyone!

In my safe virtual playground dev. environment it seems like they play smooth together (except from an upgrade error when hitting the xForm timeout (read Troubleshooting section in http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Installation-Instructions/EPiServer-CMS/Version-6/EPiServer-CMS-60/Installation-Instructions---EPiServer-CMS-6/ ). Like you said Arild, I also heard you can run 5 and 6 together, but I wasn’t quite sure.

Cheers,
Örjan

Oct 14, 2010 13:32
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.