Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Can't use Swedish characters in name of Website

Vote:

Hi, I tried to change the Name of the website in the configuration tab in the admin section but I get the following error when the text contains a Swedish character (å, ä, ö):

"The value for the property 'siteDisplayName' is not valid. The error is: The string must be either an empty string or any combination of alphanumericals, dots (.), dashes (-) and spaces up to 256 characters long, e.g. 'site.com' or 'My Site-2'."

Thanks

Mar 30, 2011 9:05
Vote:

Hi Carlos!

EPiServer does not currently support IDN (Internationalized Domain Names) or IRI:s (Internationalized Resource Identifiers).

Regards
Linus Ekström
EPiServer Development Team

Mar 30, 2011 9:41
Vote:

Thanks for the reply. Is there anyway to come around this problem. I was thinking if you can modify the code so that instead of using the Website's Name from the Admin section to use a variable stored in another place e.g. in the web.config or startpage, and display that value instead of the default one. 

Regards

//Carlos Betancourt

Mar 30, 2011 10:07
Vote:

Hi Carlos!

Is it the site name or URL that you are trying to set? I have tried setting the site name to non-ascii characters in both CMS 6 and CMS 6 R2 and it works fine. The URL though, is restricted to characters within the URL schema.

Mar 30, 2011 10:33
Vote:

Hi Linus:

It is the site name I am trying to set. I am using CMS 5 R2 but get the error message previously mentioned. Is this limited to CMS 6?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2011 11:13
Vote:

I have also run into this problem. Setting the site display name in admin/config/system settings or in siteSettings[@siteDisplayName] in the config file doesn't work for åäö chars. Is that by design?

Edit: Version is CMS 6 R1

Edited, Mar 30, 2011 11:19
Vote:

Ok, I got a bit confused here. I though you meant the site information settings (also under admin->config tab). I tried the config->site name setting on my CMS 6 R2 installation and it still prevents non ascii-characters. On the question if it's by design I would say yes, on the question if it's by good design: mayby. I have not looked into that setting enough to knowif there is a reason to limit the value of that field that much but I'll look into it more tomorrow.

Mar 30, 2011 17:34
Vote:

The siteDisplayName is used in the <title> of the CMS edit/admin mode so I also used in the title of the templates. Then the client wanted to change it and I showed them how to, but they wanted a Swedish name which didn't work. That was of course easy to work around by storing a different string elsewhere and use that in the templates, while the client accepted that the admin/edit mode title had to be different. So no big problem, it was just that both the client and me were surprised that we were seemingly the first people to run into this issue or the "bug" would have been reported and solved long ago.

Mar 31, 2011 6:50
Vote:

I have done a quick investigation of the use of this setting and I think that it's reasonable to allow more characters and have added a bug report for this.

Mar 31, 2011 8:09
Vote:

Good to hear is on the bug report now.

Kind Regards

Mar 31, 2011 10:36
Vote:

Any news on this one?

Aug 30, 2012 12:43
Vote:

The bug has been registered and fixed:

Bug #64259: SiteDisplayName should allow a broader range of characters

You see it in the public bug list.

Aug 30, 2012 13:05
Vote:

Should work in the EPiServer 7 preview release it you want to verify it.

Sep 03, 2012 9:05
Vote:

I can confirm that it works in EPiServer 7.0.449.1 with swedish characters.

Sep 05, 2012 11:17
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.