Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Moved from IIS6 to IIS7, can't login

Vote:

Hi!

We're moving EPiServer from 32-bit IIS 6 to 64-bit IIS 7, but can't get the login to work properly. The error message is as follow:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   EPiServer.Common.Settings.get_DefaultSecurity() +29
   EPiServer.Common.Web.Authorization.Integrator.SynchronizeUser(MembershipUser membershipUser, String password, Boolean enableCreateNew) +140
   EPiServer.Common.Web.Authorization.Multiplexing.IntegrationMultiplexingMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) +107
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AuthenticateUsingMembershipProvider(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +74
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +151
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +123
   System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +69
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +28
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2980

If anyone has any suggestion on what's wrong or could point me in the right direction so to speak, I'd appreciate it!

Dec 13, 2010 16:07
Vote:

What authentication method are you using? You need to ensure its enabled as a feature of IIS and also ensure that its enabled as an authentication method for your site. I've previously written a blog for enabling Windows authentication on a site but the steps are largely the same for enabling Forms authentication too:

http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/David-Knipe/Dates/2010/9/Checklist-for-setting-up-Windows-Authentication-in-EPiServer-on-a-development-machine/

IIS7 comes pretty locked down out the box and you need to explicitly enable each feature you wish to use.

Dec 13, 2010 16:44
Vote:

Do you have the EPiServer.Common.Security assembly in the application folder? Which version?

Dec 13, 2010 18:21
Vote:

David Knipe:

Thank you for posting the link! I'll delve deeper into the problem and mark this thread as a solution if the link helps.

Magnus Paulsson:

I have EPiServer.Common.Security 2.3.517.36

Dec 14, 2010 11:14
Vote:

That seems correct. The reason I asked is that your exception seems to happen when the property tries to create a class from that assembly using reflection. Could it be that you are missing some dependency of that assembly? There are many of them... I think that kind of problem would cause a different type of exception, but who knows... Can you try to install a clean Relate site (if that is what you are using) and compare the assemblies (and perhaps the assembly redirects in web.config)?

Dec 14, 2010 14:47
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.