Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Importing from version 4 site

Vote:

What is the "best practise" to export from EPiServer 4 to EPiServer CMS5 R2 site (about 2000 pages...)? I have tested and the text imports nicely, but the pictures don't.

I tried the fine EPi4Decrypt (http://blog.fredrikhaglund.se/blog/2008/02/28/export-from-episerver-cms-4/) and found that the pictures are saved in the "data" file withing <file> tags. But CMS5 R2 can't read them. Is this a "feature" or "bug"? ;)

By the way, good job! R2 rules! :D

Oct 29, 2008 15:12
Vote:

Oct 31, 2008 11:14
Vote:

Anyone? Embarassed
Oct 31, 2008 11:16
Vote:

So what happens, do you get a succeeded import without any errors/warnings ? And no files at all ?

Are the files stored in folders that are available on the target site ?

Nov 03, 2008 14:27
Vote:

Thanx Per for answering! I do indeed get a warning message:

The following warnings have been generated:
Property 'PagePeerOrderRule' does not exist on destination page type

I get the same error at my developer site and at the pure installation of "Public Templates at EPiServer Hosting" site.

No files at all. Not even the folder has been created. Just the page with a path to image: img alt="" src="/PageFiles/753/Image.jpg"

Nov 03, 2008 17:15
Vote:

What folder has not been created ? Give me an example of the full path of a file in the package that don't get created.

Nov 04, 2008 14:06
Vote:

I try to explain better what i mean.

Example 1 - Export från EPi 5 / import to EPi 5 (ok)

When I import from file C:\Users\I\Desktop\ExportedFile.episerverdata, the Import Data page shows:

Import complete
Import successful
Number of pages 1
Number of page types 0
Number of categories 0
Number of frames 0
Number of dynamic property definitions 0
Number of Headings 0
Number of files 1

When I open the page i editor and activate the picture and press "Insert image from file" button, opens Image Editor with my picture and at Information area it shows a path to the file: /PageFiles/773/image.jpg. When I press again the "select image" button, opens "select image" dialog with path to "Page Files" and shows the picture file in it.

Example 2 - Export från EPi 4 / import to EPi 5 (not ok)

When I import from file C:\Users\I\Desktop\ExportedFile.epi4, the Import Data page shows:

The following warnings have been generated:
Property 'PagePeerOrderRule' does not exist on destination page type
Number of pages 1
Number of page types 0
Number of categories 0
Number of frames 0
Number of dynamic property definitions 0
Number of Headings 0
Number of files 0

When I open the page i editor it shows the borders of the picture where it should be and a red cross at the corner (image not found?). When I activate it and press "Insert image from file" button, opens Image Editor with error message: "An error occurred. Close Image Editor?". I choose "cancel" to continue. No picture in Image Editor" but at Information area it shows a path to the file: /PageFiles/775/image.jpg. When I press again the "select image" button, opens "select image" dialog with message "A folder for this page has not been created, do you wish to create one now?".

I have tried to find the picture in the VPP\Site\PageFiles but it is not there.

By the way, the site is an old (2003) site that has been upgraded couple of times.

Hope this helps. Otherwise I could send the ExportedFile.epi4 to you because I think the fault is actually in it.

Nov 04, 2008 15:37
Vote:

Ok, I suggest that you first take a look at Migrating from CMS 4.62 to CMS 5 that will give you a good overview on the steps to export from 4 and some tips along the way. Also, I should mention the Migration Tool that we just released which is a completly different approach that will actually upgrade your current 4.62 site to R2.

Anyway, I don't have a quick answer for you so if you can't sort this out I recommend that you file a request with our support team and upload the file to them.

Nov 04, 2008 16:17
Vote:

Thank you anyway for your time! Smile

I just thought it would have been nice to have a "clean" install and use export/import on it. Old site has over 1000 folders at the upload folder

Nov 04, 2008 17:20
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.