Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Creating a custom protected module

Vote:

I would like to create a module for EPiServer and don't know where to begin. I've read some articles here and there, but some seem a little outdated.

What I'm looking to do, is to make a module that i stored in ~/modules/_protected/ - in a zip-file and its assembly is referenced in my project(s), so I can access the code from there.

Think of it as my own little re-usable code. But also as a way to standardize extensions to the CMS UI.

How do I begin?

/Kristian

Jun 14, 2016 15:24
Vote:

What kind of extensions are you talking about? If it's only code extensions then standard nuget package is more suitable than a protected addon. 

Addons should not have references from your code. They should be stand alone. Use standard nuget package instead if you need that part.

Jun 14, 2016 16:34
Vote:

By extensions I mean for example an admin part to manage some settings, or a UI panel in edit mode to, or a gadget.

But from what I can hear, I should separate the projects: a NuGet package for the code I want to access, and a zip-file / module to enrich Episerver.

Speaking of the latter; module. How do "they" make them? From what I can see it's just a zip-file with at least a module.config file, and then it's referenced (somehow?) in the web.config:

<episerver.shell>
<publicModules rootPath="~/modules/" autoDiscovery="Modules" />
<protectedModules rootPath="~/EPiServer/">
  <add name="Shell" />
  <add name="CMS" />
  <add name="EPiServer.Packaging.UI" />
</protectedModules>
</episerver.shell>

So that's what I want to know more about.

/Kristian

Jun 15, 2016 8:35
Vote:

I did a few of those. It takes a little while to get the first up and running but it's not really hard. You can start by reading the documentation about addons here

http://world.episerver.com/documentation/Items/Developers-Guide/Episerver-CMS/9/add-ons/Developing-Add-ons/

The important parts is for protected addons in your case. Hope that helps to get you started. An addon is a nuget package that is easy to install/delete more or less with a few bells and whistles to solve some routing of resources (images/css/js) and similar. 

Edited, Jun 15, 2016 9:03
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.