Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EPiServer 7 CMS Visual Studio Integration Extension

Vote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how to create a new 'clean' Episerver CMS 7 Web Site (MVC) project in Visual Studio 2012?

I need this particular version for a CMS6 R2 migration, which requires  CMS version 7.1 with Patch 3 as the new host site.

The current  Episerver CMS Visual Studio Extension (24/10/2014) seems to only create 7.5 CMS Sites:

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/4ad95160-e72f-4355-b53e-0994d2958d3e

Don't see any reference on Episerver World to a downloadable version of the previous VS Extension for CMS 7

Cheers

Steve

Dec 28, 2014 6:39
Vote:

I would use deployment center to do that, do not think there are possible to download old versions.

If you really need it contact the support and they might be able to get it.

Dec 28, 2014 9:16
Vote:

Thanks Henrik,  

Easy enough to create a clean CMS 7 Site through Deployment Centre, but a 'clean' functioning MVC VS2012 Project wrapper for this appears very difficult to obtain.

Was hoping Episerver new VS Extension could deploy 7.0CMS packages as described in Release Notes, but no documentation as to how/if this works.

Changes in 7.5.394.2

• Support for both 7.0 and 7.5 projects.
  • Added Media Type (only applicable in 7.5 projects).
  • Minor bug fixes.

Might raise a ticket in the new year.... I have a working AlloyTech MVC CMS 7 but too much custom code to strip away easily and use as a base.

Cheers

Steve

Dec 29, 2014 6:53
Vote:

What do you mean by clean site?

The site created by the addon is pretty much the same as the one created by deployment center, but uses nuget instead of hard references to dll files.

Dec 29, 2014 11:51
Vote:

You should go with what Henrik said. Install via Deployment Center. There is no need for MVC at this moment since you are upgrading an old website. And you could add MVC support later as with any asp.net projet.

You could probably install older nuget packages for that specific version in you project by using the package manager console and choose the corrent version in the version list of your packages.

Dec 29, 2014 22:19
Vote:

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback.

By a clean site I mean a pre-configured Visual Studio Solution (Web Site), with references to Episerver CMS 7.

Deployment Centre does not provide this, just sets up a new database and a web site which includes Epi assemblies and config files. 

What I want is a VStudio Project (based on Deployment Centre CMS 7 database and configs) that initialises Epi Correctly on startup. It could be web forms but prefer MVC.

Episerver have this sorted out for 7.5 CMS, but see nothing regarding setting up a Visual Studio Project from scratch for CMS 7 site.

http://world.episerver.com/documentation/cms/get-started-with-cms/4-Creating-your-project/

"...it is recommended to start developing in an empty project. The easiest way to create an empty EPiServer CMS site for development is to use the EPiServer Visual Studio extension configured with NuGet packages. This will provide you with a pre-configured website and a ready-to-use Visual Studio project for development."

I need a VStudio Project because initial part of the migration will create PageTypes and Blocks from Composer Page Types using Episerver Tool.

The C# classes generated need to compile and then Epi Initialisation should take care of generating the Page Types and Blocks in the CMS 7 database.

Only then can you import the episerverdata file containing Composer PageTypes correctly from a CMS 6R2 site.

Cheers

Steve

Dec 30, 2014 7:21
Vote:

Ok, there are ways to do this, but no "good" way.
Contact support and ask if they have a specific version of the addon that they can send to you.

Dec 30, 2014 13:45
Vote:

Yeah, thanks Henrik... will contact support.

Dec 31, 2014 11:06
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.