Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Add-ons and updates - some questions

Vote:

Hi!

I'm somewhat confused when it comes to EPiServer 7 and its add-ons and updates, so I thought I'd post some questions on the matter.

What is the purpose of the following folders?

Folder "Modules" in the VPP-folder?
Folder "ModulesRepository" in the VPP-folder?
Folder "modules" in the web site's root folder?
Folder "modulesbin" in the web site's root folder?

Are there add-ons/updates that can only be installed via the EPiServer Add-ons Manager and not via Nuget?
Are there add-ons/updates that can only be installed via Nuget and not EPiServer Add-ons Manager?

Will add-ons/updates write to 'web.config' and place DLLs in the "true" bin-folder?

The reason I ask the above is I don't want to get the live site out of sync with my development site.

Thanks!

//Marcus

Jan 10, 2014 16:29
Vote:

Hi Marcus,

I know this isn't the answer for the question you asked, but I think you will gain a bit better understanding of add ons if you read the SDK section regarding developing add ons. Especially the part "Public and Protected Add-ons".

But in short Modules (in VPP folder) is for private add-ons, modules (in site root) is for public add-ons. Modulesbin hold the bins of all add ons. Lastly the "ModulesRepository" is where EPiServer stores the downloaded Add-on packages in their zipped state.

The Add-on system is the only way to install EPiServer Add-ons. Third parties can choose to use the add on store or not.

Edited, Jan 10, 2014 19:53
Vote:

Hello Marcus,

In EPiServer 7 there are two different concepts related to updates: “Platform” and “Add-Ons”.

The platform can be updated only within EPiServer NuGet feed using Visual Studio. Updates to the platform can change web.config and place new or update existing binaries in the sites \bin folder.

Add-Ons installation or updates should modify only files in the folders that you have listed in your question. Add-Ons never should write to web.config or place files in sites \bin folder. 

Jan 13, 2014 9:22
Vote:

Thank you both Toni and Sergii!

I think I've gotten hang of it somewhat thanks to your explanations.

//Marcus

Jan 13, 2014 11:34
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.